Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with the PIC PG3B programmer and power supply

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
Help with the PIC PG3B programmer and power supply
November 25, 2007 08:08PM
I just got my PG3B programmer from MCPros along with the suggested power supply. I don't know what voltage polarity to use and I can't figure it out from the schematic as suggested by the "Configuring your power supply" document that they sent along with the board and power supply. They say that using the incorrect voltage polarity can damage or destroy my device. Obviously I don't want this to happen.

Should I use the Positive Inner polarity or the Positive Outer polarity?
Re: Help with the PIC PG3B programmer and power supply
November 25, 2007 11:43PM
hmm... i have this programmer and i just used an adjustable power supply from radioshack. i dont have it handy, but when i get back i'll double check the polarity for you and let you know what works for me.
November 26, 2007 01:49AM
Thanks zach, I figured it out. I found a diode on the programmer that was wired into the power plug and took the polarity from that. The cathode end was hooked into the center part of the plug. I simply flipped my plug adaptor around so that the center of it was negative also. Worked out fine but the moment when I plugged the darn thing in was a bit scary as this setup costs a bit of change for a starving student.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Demented
November 27, 2007 04:12PM
awesome! congratulations!

a word of advice: when you insert the PIC chip into the socket, dont push it all the way in. you can get it so the chip just rests in and is held by the spring tension of the socket. makes it a lot easier to insert for programming and then remove without destroying a PIC chip.
November 27, 2007 11:20PM
Zach,

I bought the ZIF socket for the board, desoldered and removed the originals, and placed in the ZIF socket. Works like a charm.

Demented
November 28, 2007 10:10AM
perfect!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login