Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder controller missing component?

Posted by Milly 
Extruder controller missing component?
December 09, 2010 10:57AM
Hi,

I am in the process of building the extruder controller. I have followed the wiki, locating all the components in their correct place on the PCB, but I have a left over space on the PCB for another component and can't figure out what is meant to go there! Its located between C12 and R2, it looks like it should be a resistor or a capacitor, but there is no mention of it in the wiki. I was further puzzled when I downloaded the PCB gerber/pdf files, the silkscreen component file doesn't show this component. On the wiki you can see it populated with a component in some of the pictures, but I can't figure out what should be there!

Can anyone help?

Milly.
Re: Extruder controller missing component?
December 09, 2010 11:20AM
Hi milly

Looking at the photo here you will see there is no component present (You are talking about the 2 spots between the crystal and the quadrature header I assume?

I believe those are reffered to as GND and GNDA and Noobman refers to them here.

I don't think you need to do anything with them as they should already be sorted.... If your controller does not work then come back to it but apparantly it was just a batch of boards from GRRF that needed this connected due to a bug in the construction process.

I am sure someone will come with more details but I think you can proceed without worying about that area.

For interest, can you point me to pictures where there is in fact a component there?

Cheers
December 09, 2010 11:41AM
Hey Milly

For more information see this thread

I think these are talking about what you are looking for?
December 09, 2010 01:42PM
Sweet,

Thanks for that, I've soldered everything up and now got the bootloader burnt onto the microcontroller. I've run into a snag with the reprap firmware though, when I try to compile the code in Arduino I get errors:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:70: error: 'DDRA' undeclared here (not in a function)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:79: error: 'PORTA' undeclared here (not in a function)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:79: error: initializer element is not constant
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:79: error: (near initialization for 'port_to_output_PGM[1]')
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:88: error: 'PINA' undeclared here (not in a function)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:88: error: initializer element is not constant
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.c:88: error: (near initialization for 'port_to_input_PGM[1]')

Any ideas anyone?

I've selected the Arduino Diecimila, or Duemilanove w/ ATmega 168 board.

Milly
December 09, 2010 03:09PM
Reinstalled Arduino IDE and its compiling now, but arduino crashes when I try to upload... sigh...
December 09, 2010 06:08PM
Okay, the I managed to upload the firmware using arduino on ubuntu rather than mac. When uploading the firmware is it necessary to press the reset button? I didn't, it took a little time but arduino IDE did say the upload was complete. After that the debug light was flashing and one of the lights underneath one of the mosfets was on steady. Does this sound correct?

Milly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login