Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oscilloscopes

Posted by davmj 
Oscilloscopes
December 09, 2010 01:54PM
I am thinking of getting an Oscilloscope for various purposes

(a) It makes my mad scientist workshop look a little better (must get a few more props sorted out).

but more importantly

(b) Help with debugging electronics and firmware programming, where the use of LEDs is not quit enough. I have found one for NZ$179 which is described as a 10 Mhz Single Trace. Is this enough bandwidth for the electronics that we are dealing with

Any advice most welcome. (The next model up is a 20 Mhz Dual Channel, and then it moves into the rather more expensive Digital Oscilloscopes)

Cheers

David
VDX
Re: Oscilloscopes
December 09, 2010 04:43PM
Hi David,

... for debugging signals until some kHz you can use 'virtual scopes' as software applications around your sound-card - AFAIK there are some free programs which converts the input of your PC-mic into curves on the screen similar to a common scope.

So you have only to find the program and adapt the interesting signals to the level of your microphone ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 09, 2010 07:56PM
As Viktor says, the software based oscilloscopes are fairly good, and worth a look. The free ones only go to the range that the mic input supports (in the kHz range), while you can get hardware based ones as well.

You can buy ones that come with a USB dongle that will do a fair bandwidth. Most only work under Windows, so if you want Linux/Mac support, triple check before you buy.

I do remember seeing a project where you could build one yourself. Can't remember where I saw it (probably Silicon Chip) but will try and dig it up.

Don't discount the second hand market though for Oscilloscopes. There's definitely bargains to be had out there.
VDX
December 10, 2010 03:31AM
... for Linux you can try with 'xoscope': [xoscope.sourceforge.net]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

VDX
December 10, 2010 03:43AM
... and for windows i've atached the really simple/small Winscope from Konstantin Zeldovich ...

Notice - for measuring with your soundcard you have convert the signals so they can't exceed 2Volts ... even better stay below 2Volts, so you won't risc to damage your soundcard ...

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - osc251.zip (88.5 KB)
December 10, 2010 06:40PM
you could also look into the DSO nano from seed [www.seeedstudio.com]

i have one and i like it allot, but i don't know if it will have all the functions you are looking for.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
December 11, 2010 07:59PM
I bought a jyetech diy scope off ebay for ~50$. (Sparkfun also have them).
Fun little project to solder together, and cheap too. I still have to learn to use it properly, though it seems to work fine.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
December 13, 2010 04:19AM
I think there are some arduinoscope(s)
- [arduino.cc] [code.google.com]
- [www.practicalarduino.com]
Havent tested them myself, just something on my to do list sometime, so couldnt say much about them atm except that depending on what is needed, they may look acceptable.
TC
December 15, 2010 08:31PM
I'd recommend reading this paper (or ones similar to it from other vendors) to familiarize yourself with the issues related to oscilloscope bandwidth.

[www.tek.com]

TC
January 01, 2011 08:19PM
I have put together a table of oscilloscopes for hobbyists under $500.00. You can filter and sort the elements in the table to help you find the oscilloscope you need.
January 02, 2011 06:42PM
David,
I am hoping to buy a digital scope kit at some point, but right now my own madscientists workshop has a Tektronix 455 'scope on it. It is very old, only 2 inputs plus trigger and the A input level shift pot is going, and it only works up to 60Mhz. But it is a Tektronix 'scope and should be a clean, honest 60Mhz, which is all I need for ATmegas, Arduinos, and other microcontrollers. Here in the States, it is possible to find such items on craigslist. I would recommend searching ebay for a decent used 'scope if you do not have a local craigslist. I think I got mine for $75.

The trade offs are good analog frequency response, many sources for replacement parts, good solid machine vs digital storage, display and processing for a kit. I am not sure how clean the digital kits are when checking clock lines.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 05:00PM by rocket_scientist.
January 08, 2011 01:50AM
I saw this video the other day which the OP may find of interest.
January 08, 2011 03:13AM
I have to agree with the guy that is why I bought a used Tektronix 2211 over EBay.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 09, 2011 04:53AM
Thanks all, great discussion, still keeping my eye out for a suitable bargain. (The main issue tends to be be the cost of shipping ebay 'scope over seas to NZ, as not many scopes have appears on the NZ equivalent of ebay (which isn't used by the locals here as there is a cheaper alternative).

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login