Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New 32 bits ARM MKS Robin with TFT??

Posted by Bobyni 
Anonymous User
Re: New 32 bits ARM MKS Robin with TFT??
March 17, 2017 03:10AM
On Aliexpres Usure tech selling new version of Robin board with integrated wifi module for 48sd ,On photos are visible 2 version of board V2,1 and V2,2 with different positioned wifi module New versions do not suppoting dual extrusion,,MKS sell this version in Taobao official store for 36usd and shipping expense .For that price you get new circus in town with red ,green and blue connectors,,I belive that is only change from previous version,,

Highly recommended to avoid buying Robin board

[world.taobao.com]
March 23, 2017 10:59PM
..Just had a quick idea. Since the board is STM32 based, didn't the guys from ST port marlin to their processors line?
In theory and from far away, my guess would be that it would simply be some pin configuration and marlin would run on this board.
I could be totally off but just in case nobody thought of this case...
March 24, 2017 09:40AM
rstepanov
Maybe I'll hack Robin too, later. It looks interesting to me...

I really hope this happens... by you or someone else... as long as it could load one of the popular OS FW, that has more adjustment options.
whoever does it gets 10$ from me smiling smiley.... (if there are more people interested, someone could made nice bonus for pulling it off)

it would be ironic, if this board becomes one of the more popular with hacked FW smiling smiley

firefly97:
quick respond on e-mail is talking over 1 month to reply,
with no github updateds for over a month... smiling smiley
even with different USB cables, poor communication reliability.

so, i take same stand as few before me... avoid this board kit.
as someone once said... its better to be in a bad mood once (at time of purchase), than every time you tried to use it, even if it costed less.
if i have spent 150$ instead of 50, i might be printing already... it was calculated risk at purchase and i got burned.
unless MKS pulls something out of their ........ and makes this usable product.

and regarding set-up... why would you need to remove SD card to update configuration?!?! if you are connected over USB. Access to SD over USB should be mandatory, if SD files need to be corrected for setup.
this is nightmare for my setup, where there is no easy access to SD... (optional external SD, can/should be fitted so its accessible, but that is not my point).

as i mentioned in my e-mail to "king" smiling smiley this in not intended for end consumer, but for machine builders that have re-sorceress for finishing FW themselves.
wish i knew that before, but we learn by our mistakes winking smiley
April 16, 2017 06:25AM
I've put the board in geeetech g2s (setup that doesn't need offsets), and first prints obviously show that motion speeds can't compare to 8bit smiling smiley

but there's still obvious things... like max duty cycle of heater, main info screen on the panel...

it's been 2 more than 2 months since last FW update... not a sign of active dev.
Attachments:
open | download - P_20170416_114805_HDR.jpg (588.2 KB)
open | download - _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (178.6 KB)
July 22, 2017 06:34AM
bit of update, since no-one else mentioned anything..
for all that still have this board on the desk winking smiley

there was FW update ~1 month ago, i presume it was done in line with new board rev. witch has WIFI built-in.
some things got added, but they broke other things...

PID now has duty cycle limits, allowing wider verity of heaters...
bit more acc options, but still no jerk
wifi menu now present, even on board without wifi module
presumably dual extruders are now working, but i haven't tested it.

broken temp control?
after starting SD print (off main SD, not add-on), you cant change temp settings anymore...
even stopping print, results in leaving heaters on, restart is needed.
bug is repeatable, so you cant use ABS gcode for PLA anymore...

not tested with custom icons but previous FW worked fine with ones intended for TFT28/32

does anyone know for custom LCD menu, instead of just icons?
Anonymous User
August 05, 2017 03:43AM
I just contact MKS on aliexpress,,respond was very slow and mis King answer very root " Can you understood now" treat me like retarded person ,it seem i robin board is not possible to configure because i am idiot and my luck of knowledge is reason for faulty board

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO AVOID MKS BOARD
August 29, 2017 12:41PM
Read most of the thread. Very sad. I was thinking of the MKS Robin as its the only 32bit board I can find that will use step sticks.

Frankly I love the MKS Gen 1.4 but I am trying to get into a faster 32 bit ARM system to make proper use of the TMC2100 step driver....

I just cant find a board that I like these days.......

I want to use TMC21xx step drivers, ARM 32 bit CPU, touch screen like the tft32....
I am familiar with Marlin FW but willing to change.....

I so wish there was something that was physically laid out like the MKS Gen but had an ARM cpu

anyone know of something I am missing out there?
August 29, 2017 05:29PM
Why not a Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet? They have built-in TMC2660 stepper drivers, with the same microstepping up to x256 that the TMC2100 has, but more than double the rated current, software-controlled current, software-controlled microstepping, over-temperature warning etc. And you get an ARM Cortex M4 processor with built-in hardware floating point unit, and the awesome Duet Web Control web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 08, 2017 04:48PM
don't get me wrong.... the board works.
may be not for the advance gurus that wants to modify and enhance the functionalities or adding ton of staffs...it is CLOSED source. and most likely using the Repetier FW.
If only someone could explore the pinout, then it would be a game changer for this board.

single extruder and hot bed and basic XYZ Cartesian printers should benefit from it.

but it is for sure there is some learning curves, and time will needed to be spent.

if you want a 32 bits board that you can get tons of support, you need to go to DC42's Duet or the Original Smoothieware.

Then if you stay with 8 bit, the market is wild and you could have support from everywhere...
my cent.
October 06, 2017 01:33AM
Here is the almost complete reverse engineered pin map if anyone is interested:

[docs.google.com]
October 21, 2017 11:46PM
Hello Compi

compi
Here is the almost complete reverse engineered pin map if anyone is interested:

[docs.google.com]

This is VERY interesting!!!

Have you tried purring this into Repetier FW?
Cause, if you did, what was the outcome?
It would be then be possible using the pin out and use Marlin as well!

Hope to hear from you what you have accomplished so far, and kudo for your reverse engenearing !! I believe it is a pain a slow process...
Cheers
February 07, 2018 06:55AM
Before I went digging I asked them and found it is closed source and this is the response I received - "King Zhong: No, it uses closed-source firmware developed by our team. The way to flash the firmware is like MKS SBase, using sd card". Why the different version of SBASE and ROBIN?

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
March 03, 2018 11:28PM
well, Sbase is well known a copy of project Smoothie...
Mks-Robin.... may be is a derivative from the Smoothie but using Repetier FW as backbone, I believe.
with Compi's pin out, not sure is someone verified the pin out, to see if smoothie FW or Marlin could be used with this board....
cheers
March 04, 2018 12:07AM
Bobyni
well, Sbase is well known a copy of project Smoothie...
Mks-Robin.... may be is a derivative from the Smoothie but using Repetier FW as backbone, I believe.
with Compi's pin out, not sure is someone verified the pin out, to see if smoothie FW or Marlin could be used with this board....
cheers
Ewwwww, yuck to Repetier as I have never been a fan of that thing.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
June 18, 2018 02:39AM
tysonwave
[www.amazon.co.uk]
Closed source makes me sad.

By the way I must amend what I said back in March because I have a new printer and I slammed Repetier on it and I love it except for one thing and that is there is no option to stop the print in it so you have to hit the reset button or the power switch but beyond that I love this far more than Marlin.

_______
July 17, 2018 12:34PM
Hello,

I have an issue with these board. I update the firmware to the latest and setup the Config file. The temperature was displayed correct and the Hotend heats up.

The stepper won't work, I tried everything but they are not turning. I am using the online drivers.

Can someone help me please.

Regards Michael
September 06, 2018 01:07PM
Hello.
My name is Antonio Torres From Mexico, since y bought a mks robin 2.3 board i cant update the firmware, can you help me.

presteps( i update on robin_config file the printer type changing 0 by 1 because my printer is core x-y; 1 exruder)

1.- I format a 128gb sd card on fat32
2.- I copy mks_pic, robin.bin and robin_config.txt on root's sd
3.- I introduce the sd card on the mother board sd's port an turn the board on

4.- start the board normally but never try to update anything

i dont know if i'am doing something wrong

*I have pluged to the borad 6 endstops sensors, 5 electric engines
-the 6 endstop sensors are working good
-the z,x,y electric engines are working, but i cant change the printer type to core x,y and i finish THE y mechanic system
-the e0,e1 doesnt work, i supose the config file enables them .

CAN YOU HELP ME
Attachments:
open | download - robin_config.txt (11.2 KB)
September 08, 2018 02:25AM
the SD card is probably to new, try a old 8gb card

you have also broken the config file

you have changed comments into commands

# comment
> command

the first command is currently
>1:corexy(x_motor = x+y, y_motor = x-y),
This should just be a comment ie
#1:corexy(x_motor = x+y, y_motor = x-y),

to set core xy change Drive system from 0
>DRIVE_SYSTEM 		        0				#machine type

to mode 1

>DRIVE_SYSTEM 		        1				#machine type

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 02:38AM by Dust.
jmz
November 27, 2018 02:35PM
Should someone what to try open-source firmware on their MKS Robin.
Attached is the bootloader extracted from my MKS Robin v2.4.
With it you *should* be able to return to vendor-provided firmware.
Attachments:
open | download - MKS_Robin_v2_4_bootloader.bin (28 KB)
July 28, 2019 11:46AM
Hello to all,

Did no do any thing with the board for two years.
Now that The board is “opened”, Marlin is available for the Robin’s board.

I am still using the first board that I got back from 2016.
A V2.0 with TFT V1.0
That one is running steady with the old closed Fe from MKS.

But I have the extra one that is V2.1 with TFT V1.0 that I just played last night and got the
Marlin V2.x bug fix purred in.
I had to :
-“learn” platformio;
-changed some parameters,( commend and I commend couple lines for the TFT in HAL)
- calibrate the TFT to find if my V1.0 was compatible and gather the X & Y values and offsets
Compiled
Copied the Robin.bin on SD card and successfully installed Marlin FW.

But .......... no SD card.

Played for couple hours into deep night and could not find the solution.

It seemed that the on-board WIFI module might be the culprit.
It takes the Serial port, I think.

Tried the define more serial ports in the config.h but it it did not work.
For sure the port 1 is the WIFI.
Since if flashing the FW with port 1 being defined, at the end (100% loading instant) I can see a blue light blink from the WIFI module.
When flashes without the serial port 1, it won’t action.

My touch and up/down bottoms are responsive.
My TH0 is active.

Really interested to know if anyone had a successful purr of Marlin WITH the WIFI module been able to use the on-board SD card slot.

Thanks and cheers
July 28, 2019 06:25PM
yey!!! got it to work!!!!

mks-robin pin.h
-1 to the SD detect pin
(try this first)

mine , I added all other pin outs for the SD card. info from earlier post.
good luck
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4399.JPG (101.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_4400.JPG (50.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_4401.JPG (62.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login