Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hall effect sensor KY-035

Posted by Desertboy 
Hall effect sensor KY-035
March 22, 2017 05:37AM
Hi Reprap mendel owner here had it for years never really used it much didn't work very well but been trying to sort it out now as have a project for it got an excellent print the other night and then immediately nothing would stick. The bed level is very poor so to try and sort this out I bought a hall effect sensor for the z axis.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

and a neo magnet to stick on z axis mount how do I connect it up?

It has 3 outputs my ramps 1.4 board has only 2 input for the z axis I see the board has input for a 3 pin but no actual pin do I need to solder a pin on so I can use all 3 inputs?

Do I need a different sensor will this plug and play?

Thanks
Re: Hall effect sensor KY-035
March 22, 2017 06:13AM
Sorry your un clear

which end has 2 pins?

The sensor looks to be designed to interface to arduino so should have ttl outputs. ie is usable on most 8bit reprap controllers.

If your ramps only has two pins on the endstop connectors, the 5v rail is probably not installed. Just add in the missing pin. Or grab it from a aux connector.

The page doesn’t give any output pin details, it may be inverted, but you can fix this in firmware.

senor Pin Description on ramps.
S or Y Data output so goes to S pin on ramps
+ or R 3 - 7V DC so goes to +5v on ramps
- or G Ground so goes to gnd on ramps

NB the pin order is different,make sure you wire +5v and gnd correctly. Its not 1 to 1 connectors
March 22, 2017 02:39PM
Hi thanks for the reply I swapped the microswitch for the hall effect switch, and wired Y to S on ramps, G to the - and R to +5v from the pc power supply (red wire on the 4 pin molex) it hasn't worked I tried waving a magnet over the switch (Both poles) and couldn't make it trigger.

Will get some photo's tomorrow as printer is at work at moment.

Thanks
March 22, 2017 06:27PM
Make sure you disable the pullup on that endstop in firmware.
March 22, 2017 07:02PM
OK got it, thanks will update the firmware tomorrow and try and will update winking smiley
March 23, 2017 09:26AM
Hi I pulled my back out so not been able to go work today to play but I think this is the bit I need to edit before I update the firmware. X & Y have standard micro switches connected with 2 pins. Only z axis has the hall effect switch.

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

How do I edit this?

I guess I need to edit it like this
#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 09:27AM by Desertboy.
March 28, 2017 01:44AM
Hi it doesn't seem to work, I swapped back to microswitch temporarily I managed to edit the firmware properly I think as I tried it on the x axis as well which has a microswitch on it with only 2 pins and it stopped working then when I turned the pullup on again it started working.

Am I right in thinking if I hook the hall effect switch up to the z axis, put multimeter on the sensor pin and ground of the switch and wave the magnet at it I should read 5v (Depending on if it's NO & NC switch will depend when I see that 5v) is this correct?

I'm finally not in as much pain so will get a photo today and paste the code I edited.

Since I updated the firmware it seems to be over extruding (Lays first layer fine then stops extruding) unfortunately I don't have a backup of the original firmware to flash back on, what would cause this?

Thanks
April 04, 2017 09:37AM
I unscrewed the clamp for the thermistor and then resat the thermistor and resecured the clamp and the temp then read 23c then I got extrusion need to play more to get it work nice nozzle size has changed.

Thermistor setting is 11 for my chinese hot end.
April 11, 2017 10:41AM
Hi a little update I bought an optical end stop with 3 wires and set it up (Including firmware) no problems so I now wonder if the hall effect sensor is dodgy. How do I check it will wiring it up and waving a magnet at it whilst checking voltage on the signal pin work?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login