Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help to modify Cramps to add 50w Spindle support

Posted by lordrafa 
Help to modify Cramps to add 50w Spindle support
February 05, 2018 01:54PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to modify my CRAMPS (Beaglebone Ramps) to add support for a 50W Spindle (48V/1A) on the high power bed output (24v/15A). Checking the below schema I suppose that I would need to modify the MOSFET and the schottky diode but don't have enough electronic knowledge to pick the correct values.

Also I am not completely sure if after this modification is done if I would be able to control this spindle with PWM, hence I would like someone to confirm this.

The original diode reference is: DIODE SCHOTTKY 40V 1A DO214AC SS14-E3/61T

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 02:03PM by lordrafa.
Re: Help to modify Cramps to add 50w Spindle support
February 06, 2018 03:25AM
I'd use an external circuit for the spindle. Like an RC-ESC for brushed motors. They are controlled by a servo-compatible pin on CRAMPS.
I'm pretty sure the spindle motor will draw a lot more amps while starting and working, so pick an ESC with at least 48V/5A capability.
Re: Help to modify Cramps to add 50w Spindle support
February 06, 2018 01:27PM
Hi o_lampe, thanks for your answer. I have the CRAMPS version 2.2.1 and I think that the servo outputs has been removed.

I measure the current with a multimeter and I never measure more than 1A/48V. In order to measure the current I connected the multimeter on serial with the Spindle and in parallel for the voltage. Also I read in some other place that old 3040 Chinese CNC came with a 50w Spindle that is why I supposed that my results were correct

If it would be possible I would prefer to go for the modification on the MOSFET since witch those params should be possible to use a single MOSFET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login