Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Streaming G-code to 3D printer board from micro-controller

Posted by CharlesDesign 
Streaming G-code to 3D printer board from micro-controller
February 20, 2018 08:59AM
Hi All,

I have somewhat unusual request; I'd like to use a micro-controller to stream some g-code line by line to a 3D Printer board.

Is is possible to establish communication with a micro-controller over USB, ethernet or even better RS232?
If so what is the communication protocol?

What I'm trying to achieve is somewhat similar to the a live-print from pronterface or simplify3d.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Re: Streaming G-code to 3D printer board from micro-controller
February 20, 2018 09:42AM
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, will post it for your consideration anyway.

OctoPrint using a Raspberry Pi seems to be the way most are going, it will allow you to slice the G-Code with your current slicer then you can simply upload this G-Code to OctoPrint for 3D Printing.

Raspberry Pi's OctoPrint is not the only micro computer thou it seem to be in my opinion the best solution for a low cost.

[octoprint.org]

There are many posts and you-tube videos on how to set up a Raspberry Pi OctoPrint micro computer, Octoprint is well documented and easy to setup.

I set two up using Pi Zero's they worked ok! but not as good as when I upgraded to a pair of Raspberry Pi 2 B+ micro computers.
I use the Pair to monitor my 3D Printers over my local network with streaming video, wired not wireless. I could use wireless for a little more expense but not necessary.
February 21, 2018 12:10AM
Most repraps are already talking boring serial at ttl levels, its just threw a usb/serial converter

nb most dont have any form of hardware handshaking on the serial side. It two wire only TX/RX (and DTR to reboot the controller)

EG ramps DO/D1 is actually TX0/RX0 and connected directly to the serial io lines... used by some smart screens (eg mks tft32)

The actual protocol is documented on [reprap.org] in the sections before they go into specific gcodes...
February 22, 2018 03:06AM
Perhaps you are thinking of something like Klipper firmware?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login