Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 and PIN D9

Posted by Pietrogramma 
Ramps 1.4 and PIN D9
March 26, 2018 06:41PM
Hi, I use a ramps 1.4 for control a Mostly Printed CNC with Marlin Firmware.
The last week I bought to Banggood a laser module that have only a cable for the power and nothing for control the power on/off.
I connected the power of the module at the D9 pin of the ramps for turn on or off the module with the command M106 or M107, but unfortunately it does not work.
The strange thing is that if I turn on the ramps the laser turns on immediately, even if I powered the ramps with a 12v power supply connected only to the two right PLUG of the ramp (see the picture).
If i send at the ramps the M106 command or M107 nothing happens, the laser stays on.
If I understand correctly, the PIN D8, D9 and D10 are powered with the left plugs of the ramps, right? If it's right why the laser lights up even without power on the left?
Is it possible that the card is faulty or do I have to set a few pins to correctly feed the PINs d8, D9 and D10?
Thanks and sorry my bad english.
Regards

My Thingiverse

La mia stampante è una Geeetech Pro B, con scheda di controllo modello GT2560A con installato il Firmware Marlin, estrusore MK8 e piano di stampa Ultrabase della Anycubic.
Attachments:
open | download - P8250775.JPG (113.8 KB)
Re: Ramps 1.4 and PIN D9
March 26, 2018 09:25PM
"If I understand correctly, the PIN D8, D9 and D10 are powered with the left plugs of the ramps, right? If it's right why the laser lights up even without power on the left?"

no... D9 and D10 are powered from the 5amp circuit (as shown by your image)
D8 is powered by the 11amp circuit (not wired in your image)

selecting the MOTHERBOARD in configuration.h sets whats pins do what. you have to set it to BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB

re M106 use M106 S255 or your pulse width modulating a power supply, It probably wont like that

How did you wire it in?
You have to use both pins of the D9 port and not any old gnd and the + pin. The reason is the ramps actually switches the gnd rail
so when off the + and - pins are both 12v, and no current flows
and when on the + pin is still 12v but the - pin is now gnd and power will flow.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 09:35PM by Dust.
March 27, 2018 03:53AM
Did you replace the polyfuses with bridges or was it sold that way?
I hope you have an inline fuse between PSU and RAMPS...playing with lasers is already dangerous, no need to risk a fire.
March 27, 2018 05:11AM
Dust
How did you wire it in?
You have to use both pins of the D9 port and not any old gnd and the + pin. The reason is the ramps actually switches the gnd rail
so when off the + and - pins are both 12v, and no current flows
and when on the + pin is still 12v but the - pin is now gnd and power will flow.

Hi Dust, thanks for your reply, in my arduino sketch I can read:

// The following define selects which electronics board you have.
// Please choose the name from boards.h that matches your setup
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB
#endif

For the wire, I connected + of the laser module at the plus of the D9 pin and - of the laser module at the - of the D9 pin.

Then I launch repetier host, connect the Ramps 1.4 (when I turn on the ramps the laser is immediatly ON) and I write in the GCODE command box "M106 S255", send the command and the laser remain always on (as it should be); but If I send the command "M107" nothing is happening.
How I can have the laser off, and turn on it only when when I send the command "M106 S%"?
Thanks and ciao

My Thingiverse

La mia stampante è una Geeetech Pro B, con scheda di controllo modello GT2560A con installato il Firmware Marlin, estrusore MK8 e piano di stampa Ultrabase della Anycubic.
March 27, 2018 06:29AM
o_lampe
Did you replace the polyfuses with bridges or was it sold that way?
I hope you have an inline fuse between PSU and RAMPS...playing with lasers is already dangerous, no need to risk a fire.

I'm Italian and I do not speak English well ( I use google translator), I do not understand the meaning of your message can you explain it to me better (no for your speak, but for my limits with the language)? what do you mean by "Polyfuses"?
There is no inline fuse between the PSU and the Ramp, you understand one like THIS?
Thanks and bye

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 06:34AM by Pietrogramma.

My Thingiverse

March 27, 2018 07:09AM
Ok, something very wrong then... It sounds like you have configured and wired it correctly.

Take a step back and install ramps test firmware [reprap.org]

No configuration is needed. It moves all motors back and forward but more importantly for you it also turns on and off all the mosfets

So the laser should flash on and off... while running this test firmware.

If the laser still doesn't turn off, you have a hardware fault, most probably a dead mosfet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 07:10AM by Dust.
March 27, 2018 11:41AM
The polyfuses are the orange/brown square things behind the power plug.
In your picture they are missing and replaced by bridges.

March 27, 2018 11:45AM
You could define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFF
That will allow you to put the laser to D10 terminal.
But then you have to send M106 P2 S255 to turn it on and M107 P2 to turn it off.
March 27, 2018 04:32PM
Hi o_lamp, my board have the polyfuses (the picture that I posted was take from internet). Today I bought the linear fuse, for you what type of fuse I must use? My PSU is THIS (30 ampere) .
Tomorrow I will try your sugget for use D10 and I will write the result.
Thanks and ciao

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 04:36PM by Pietrogramma.

My Thingiverse

March 29, 2018 06:40PM
Dust
Ok, something very wrong then... It sounds like you have configured and wired it correctly.

Take a step back and install ramps test firmware [reprap.org]

No configuration is needed. It moves all motors back and forward but more importantly for you it also turns on and off all the mosfets

So the laser should flash on and off... while running this test firmware.

If the laser still doesn't turn off, you have a hardware fault, most probably a dead mosfet.

Hi, I tryed the test sketch that You said me, but my ramps don't work (only the D9 Pin don't work, maybe the mosfet is dead).
I bought a new ramps and now all is ok
For you can I change the mosfet? if yes wich mosfet I must buy? Searching on google I found an article that suggest to usethe mosft IRLB3034PBF (HERE the article.
Thanks and ciao

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 06:59PM by Pietrogramma.

My Thingiverse

October 24, 2018 10:44AM
Hi there, I have a RAMPS 1.4 plus 2 and I want to connect a Laser forn engraving , I have a port on my card but I do not what to do and I want to preserve 3d printing capavilities, this is my card
[reprap.org]
thanks in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login