Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Galvo Laser Control Firmware

Posted by marinusdebeer 
Galvo Laser Control Firmware
March 27, 2018 04:40PM
Hi,

I am working on my capstone project for engineering. We are building a CNC Laser Engraver using Galvo mirrors. The problem we are having is finding firmware that can control the mirrors. I know GRBL is used for Gantry system lasers, but I don't think that will work appropriately for galvos. The purpose is to take in an image as input, convert it to some format (probably g-code) then send to Arduino to perform the particular engraving.

I dont know if the GRBL firmware can actually control the galvos if the g-code is just in the appropriate form for galvos, or if we have to find different firmware and different g-code to handle the operations.

Any help would be appreciated!
Marinus
VDX
Re: Galvo Laser Control Firmware
March 27, 2018 06:02PM
... I've used servo-motors instead of galvos to rotate the mirrors and a servo-driver, controlled by DIR+CLOCK, like a stepper motor.

Here's a video while moving and homing this "XY-servo-scanner" - [vimeo.com]

- and here showing it in action - [vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 28, 2018 06:52AM
VDX
... I've used servo-motors instead of galvos to rotate the mirrors and a servo-driver, controlled by DIR+CLOCK, like a stepper motor.

Here's a video while moving and homing this "XY-servo-scanner" - [vimeo.com]

- and here showing it in action - [vimeo.com]

Why motors instead of galvo ? Heavy mirrors to move ? Need to cover a large area ? Accuracy ? Do you use high res encoders ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
VDX
March 28, 2018 07:09AM
... this was more for testing with heavy mirrors (size=45x40x5mm) and "common" CNC-software-combos winking smiley

And the servos had a pretty high accuracy with a gearing of 400:1 !!

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

April 13, 2018 01:40AM
"Galvo" is only halve of the story - a galvo needs some control loop electronics which keeps the galvo at a defined position. This control loop is somethign which definitely has to be done in hardware, you can't control this with a weak Arduino. So the question is, what data do your galvo controllers expect?
March 22, 2019 04:45PM
Hello how did you do it ? I need to help this topic. Could you help me ?
March 22, 2019 04:45PM
VDX
... this was more for testing with heavy mirrors (size=45x40x5mm) and "common" CNC-software-combos winking smiley

And the servos had a pretty high accuracy with a gearing of 400:1 !!

Hello how did you do it ? I need to help this topic. Could you help me ?
VDX
March 22, 2019 06:00PM
... I've mounted big mirrors on the axes of high geared servo-motors and controlled them with a common CNC-software ...

Viktor
--------

March 23, 2019 04:34AM
VDX
... I've mounted big mirrors on the axes of high geared servo-motors and controlled them with a common CNC-software ...

well but I am interested how did you do it ?
VDX
March 23, 2019 09:39AM
... replaced commonly used galvos by servos ... built a bigger frame to fit the bigger mirrors ... controlled the servs with a common CNC-software ...

[vimeo.com]

[vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------

March 29, 2019 07:43AM
VDX
... replaced commonly used galvos by servos ... built a bigger frame to fit the bigger mirrors ... controlled the servs with a common CNC-software ...

[vimeo.com]

[vimeo.com]

Is possible share some documents with me I don't know how can I start to do this
VDX
March 29, 2019 07:24PM
... hmmm it's too much basics and background-info you'll need to dive into - you should first learn common CNC-systems and some basics for laser-scanning.

Then start with the cheapish 100USD-showlaser-galvoscanners ... and then maybe with DAC's like the types from "mylaserpage" (my first try) - [www.mylaserpage.de]

Rplacing the galvos for servos is a complete different game - then it's basically "normal CNC" ... but you have to handle optical distortion for the beaming angles ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login