Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap GEN 6 Electronics for Sale (If enough interest)

Posted by bsthomps 
RepRap GEN 6 Electronics for Sale (If enough interest)
April 23, 2011 09:06PM
I am producing a few sets of Gen6 Electronics for myself and a few friends because they are out of stock online and I don't want to pay so much.

These will not be some cheap ripoff boards and components. I have designed many boards like this myself and all components will be name brand from either Allied or Digikey.

The boards will be exactly the same 4 layer professionally manufactured boards as Gubbel's Gen6 except I have swapped out the green LED's for blue and changed the printed text. You could even request a certain color of LED and I can easily swap a few components out for you to make it work.

All boards will be tested on my personal RepRap machine before they are sent out because selling faulty or untested electronics is completely unacceptable. I can even send you a video of your exact board working in my machine if you would like.

The more interest I get the lower I can get the price per board, right now its looking to be about $175 per board. If the boards were even in stock at Mendel-Parts.com they are $206 plus shipping after the 19% mandatory charge for US purchases. Correction: This 19% charge does not apply to US purchases.

Please respond if you would be interested!! (just judging interest now so I can hopefully get the unit cost down)

P.S.
This is not a scam, I am just new to this forum. I will NEVER ask you for any payment unless we have had email contact (at the minimum) and you feel comfortable with the purchase.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 03:29AM by bsthomps.
Re: RepRap GEN 6 Electronics for Sale (If enough interest)
April 24, 2011 06:28AM
I have about 30 extra boards left over from a resent run if your interested.
April 24, 2011 12:18PM
Interested. I have some time before I'll be ready for electronics but I am interested.
April 24, 2011 04:46PM
This should save the group time I originally posted this in a reply to the N + 1 working group. Attached to this message is a BOM for the Gen 6 build.
Attachments:
open | download - Reprap.Mendal.Generation6.BOM.REV.A.ods (22.2 KB)
April 24, 2011 05:28PM
Here are few snapshots of my build:

[picasaweb.google.com]

[picasaweb.google.com]

I would highly recommend a full group/peer review of this build/design prior to embarking on a DIY build. I am currently having some issues with this design. I I have also been able to qualify some design flaws that I believe need attention. I have calculated the rating for C27 to be underrated this was confirmed by IRC forum member BenJackson. I am considering a partial redesign if there are enough RR Users/Forum Members interested in assisting with further developing the current revision. If you are qualified and interested in assisting please let me know. I am looking to put together a small dev team. I am extending an offer to pay for the Fab and ship the PCB to you free of charge for any dev team member willing to assist me with the revision changes.

1.) C27 underrated (voltage/package size) (IRC forum member BenJackson reported C27 hot under operation)
2.) Insufficient Bulk capacitance.
3.) Clean Up noise on power Rails.
4.) layout isolation is outside of industry Specification.
5.) qualify FTDI bridge circuit.
6.) Thermistor circuit noise (deviation from tolerance reported by several IRC members **source power section**)
April 24, 2011 10:24PM
Interested. Don't know nothin about this stuff but I want a Mendel. Still ordering parts. Have time. Should go quickly. Is this everything I need for electronics?
April 27, 2011 11:43AM
bsthomps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the boards were even in stock
> at Mendel-Parts.com they are $206 plus shipping
> after the 19% mandatory charge for US purchases.

just one small remark, the 19% is only for inside EU, so the price for USA customers is around 119 EUR = 171 USD
(and dont forget that is due to high dollar.. if dollar drops again to 1.25 for example its ony 148 usd...)
And we also provide support/guarantee etc for that price.

ps. new batch will be in stock wk18 or wk19.

And from all 500 gen6 sold so far, we have had 2 failures, and one is still under investigation.. and the other customer got replacement part.
I think thats not bad.. winking smiley
April 27, 2011 10:37PM
I'm interested
April 28, 2011 03:27AM
camiel,

"19% is only for inside EU" my bad for not checking this, but why the extra cost for purchases inside EU?
Also, from everything that I have heard these are awesome boards! Have you come across any of the issues that loganhedin mentioned? I did notice that a few of the vias and traces were a bit close in spots for my tastes, but if it works it works.

To All:

I will still be making these for myself and a few friends mostly just to save some money and because I can...

I have already told a few people who are interested, but the earliest that I could get these out would be a month or so because I have a full week of intense finals coming up next week. (college student)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 03:30AM by bsthomps.
April 28, 2011 01:00PM
bsthomps Wrote:
> camiel,
>
> "19% is only for inside EU" my bad for not
> checking this, but why the extra cost for
> purchases inside EU?

19% = EU wide Value Added Tax for goods sold in the EU. This is not paid if the good are exported outside the EU.
April 30, 2011 07:02PM
I would be interested in 3 boards but I think that $175 might be a bit over budget considering the price they can be had at Mendel-Parts
May 01, 2011 03:23AM
if you are even moderately considering a GEN 6 please go buy it from Camiel. He is very Nice guy and is producing it for far less than you can build GEN 6 on your own (IMPO Camiel is not charging enough for his design). the component cost is well over $90USD alone not including shipping from DIgikey (See my BOM in the attachments). In my BOM I Omitted the fact that almost all of the passives require an MOQ of 10 from Digikey. I happened have stock on 80% of the components that various manufactures give me as a developer. When I built my GEN 6 80% of my components were free. I also happen have a partnership with a PCB fab house in the Silicon valley (I have stake in the company) so I am not subject to the same NRE charges that anyone else not in my position would be.

If you are a hardcore DIY'er with professional or advanced assembly experience and insist on building a GEN 6 from scratch I will sell you one of the extra boards that I have left over from my build for my materials cost + paying the staff to put the PCB through processing. They were produced as a 4-layer stack, 1.5oz finished copper, Hi-TG IS410 laminate, Immersion GOLD (ENIG) with Black LPI MASK and White LPI Legend. All nets were checked with flying probe tester against the schematic. The BOARD was fabed ISO certified and to IPC specification.....For all else considering the proposition of building a GEN 6 (take my advice I am a professional) buy the assembly from mendal-parts.com!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 03:26AM by loganhedin.
Am interested. would like to have a set. Hear from you soon.

Mike
hey
scion_imports sell generation 6 electronics also

they are on ebay $135 free freight

he is not making profits he is just helping the reprap comunity

go buy from scion imports help them keep the cost down

my board works and so dose my second board

some thing to think about $135 delivered to your door
May 22, 2011 08:58AM
loganhedin Wrote:
> 1.) C27 underrated (voltage/package size) (IRC forum member BenJackson reported C27 hot under operation)
> 2.) Insufficient Bulk capacitance.
> 3.) Clean Up noise on power Rails.
> 4.) layout isolation is outside of industry Specification.
> 5.) qualify FTDI bridge circuit.
> 6.) Thermistor circuit noise (deviation from tolerance reported by several IRC members **source power section**)

I have recently received Gen6 electronics from Camiel. I haven't got as far as wiring up the extruder heater and thermistor, but when testing the motors they do whine. Are any of the above problems related to the problem reported here - presumably point 6?
[www.mendel-parts.com]
(copied here)
"Gen6 5V power supply is oscillating.
The 5V on the Gen6 board is oscillating at approximately 23kHz.
This oscillation is caused by a much to low phase margin. The PWM controller is not designed for a ceramic output capacitor. The ESR of the ceramic capacitor is to low.
On my board the oscillation amplitude was approximately 300mVpp.
This oscillation causes problems with the temperature measurement. Also the current through the stepper motors is influenced by this oscillation.
I did an openloop simulation with LTSpice to see how we can fix this oscillation
By adding a 1nF capacitor parallel to R12 the circuit is stable. The phase margin is much higher. (Not optimal but this should include more changes)
I soldered a 1nF/0805 capacitor on top of R12. The oscillation is completely gone.
The temperature measurement is now rock stable. (Even with klimentkip firmware without filtering)
The motors are now silent (Unless they move of course)"
Bas
June 07, 2011 02:16PM
Does anybody know where I can buy just an bare pcb? They are on ebay for €25 (= $36) but I hope for a cheaper option. I already have the stepper drivers for this board and the ft232 and allmost all of the smd parts so I really don't need a standard kit.
June 08, 2011 02:56AM
Well, Gen6 is a four layer design, so the PCB is expensive ... RAMPS, Sanguinololu, Gen7 are all better in this regard.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

I have recently bought a board from Ebay. If anyone has got a set of components spare I would be really interested in buying them as getting them together myself would be a pain to say the least!

So if there is anyone who can help please inbox me.
September 15, 2011 07:19PM
@Bas: Bare Gen6 PCBs are available at RepRap-USA for $12.99. Assembled boards are $159.

Bas Wrote:
> Does anybody know where I can buy just an bare
> pcb? They are on ebay for €25 (= $36) but I hope
> for a cheaper option. I already have the stepper
> drivers for this board and the ft232 and allmost
> all of the smd parts so I really don't need a
> standard kit.
October 28, 2011 01:28AM
Dear bsthomps.
I am interested. I hope I am not too late. I have bought a “fully constructed” mendel from an outfit that for the timebeing shall remain nameless. As you seem to be of the same mind that untested electronics should not be sold, I should probably be dealing with you.

I should be offering you help with the dev as i am not unfamiliar with digital control electronics; however i am well out of practice. I am hoping to buy a fully functioning board from you and take my time fixing the one supplied as revision.

Contact would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login