Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Sbase 1.3 with TMC2100 (MKS clone)

Posted by Idefix 
MKS Sbase 1.3 with TMC2100 (MKS clone)
May 29, 2018 09:35PM
Hi,

I tried adding MKS TMC2100 to my MKS SBase 1.3 board. To make the installation easier I used a MKS external driver board.

Following the installation:
- TMC2100 gnd to cfg1 bridge to enable spread cycle
- 5V and GND to SBase endstop 5v and gnd connector
- VIN and GND to SBase 24v power in
- 4 signal cables to Xaxis external breakout
- adjust vref to 1.4v on the tmc2100
- inverted the direction pin for x inside the config file

Result: the stepper runs fine BUT
It disables itself after the homing move and only generates idle holding power if the signal cable is removed and replugged

Step by step:
- power printer on
- printer homes using G28
- homing works fine
- after homing is complete, the x axis is disabled (stepper can be turned by hand - other 2 axis still configured on SBase internal drivers hold their position so it is not that a disable motor command is sent)
- move x-axis using printer controls, moves but after the move motors disable again and only x axis with TMC2100 can be moved by hand
- printer still powered: remove 4pin signal wire from TMC2100 and plug it back in. Motor is now enabled and can not be turned by hand.
- move x-axis using printer controls and the axis moves fine and holds position after the move is complete (can not be turned by hand)
- run g28 to home and I'm back to a free spinning stepper with no holding power.

Anyone has an idea what this could be?
Feels like the G28 command disables the driver after the move. Strange thing is that this only happens to the external TMC2100 but not the internal drivers on the SBase.

Thanks
Re: MKS Sbase 1.3 with TMC2100 (MKS clone)
May 30, 2018 02:39AM
I can't help you with your problem, just give you an advice: Never unplug a stepper motor while the driver is powered.
I guess, the external driver needs a pullup/down resistor at the enable pin ( not sure which ). The internal drivers maybe use an inbuilt resistor?
May 30, 2018 05:50AM
Thanks. Maybe I was not clear: I unplugged the driver not the stepper.
In regards to the resistor. Could be the case. Just wondering why other have no issue with the genuine TMC2100 and even the china clones on the sbase without adding a resistor :-(
May 30, 2018 07:02AM

Just wondering why other have no issue with the genuine TMC2100 and even the china clones on the sbase without adding a resistor :-(

People had several issues with fysetec clones, but some were probably caused by poor soldering skills.

Can you compare the enable pins of the onboard drivers and the external? Might see a difference like "floating" voltage.
June 01, 2018 02:39AM
Gives me an idea. Maybe i can try and play with the driver pi configuration (pull it high or low by means of co figuring the board)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login