Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RUMBA Bootloader using Arduino as ISP

Posted by skc5741 
RUMBA Bootloader using Arduino as ISP
July 08, 2018 08:10PM
Hello,

I seem to be having a problem I feel like should be a pretty basic fix, but I am having a ton of trouble with it nonetheless. I am trying to upload my latest version of Marlin to my printer with some basic function changes, but I can't get the RUMBA to respond. The board is currently hooked up to my printer.

The errors I'm receiving are as follows:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I realized I should just be able to whip the RUMBA into DFU mode by putting a jumper on the reset pins as explained on the RUMBA RepRap wiki page, but this did not work. I was told previously to fix this problem using an Arduino UNO as an ISP to reload the boot loader onto the RUMBA.

So I attempted to follow a tutorial online here, using my Arduino Uno as an ISP for the RUMBA. This is how I connected the Arduino Uno to the RUMBA:

As the tutorial advised, I set the programmer to "Arduino as ISP" and then proceeded to "Burn Bootloader". I only had the Arduino connected to the computer, but the Arduino appeared to be supplying power to the RUMBA as well, as there were some lights flashing. Once I burned the boot loader, I assumed it had worked, as the Arduino software reported "Done burning boot loader", but I noticed during the process of uploading there were a series of errors that the Arduino software reported:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x18
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x18

I tried to upload firmware normally first, but received the same error I had to begin with. Next I tried to upload using the Arduino as ISP, and still had no luck. What can I do?

Thanks!
Sam
Re: RUMBA Bootloader using Arduino as ISP
July 09, 2018 02:19AM
The main processor talks to PC through a second Atmega chip acting as USB2serial converter. In the Wiki is a page that hold the files needed to flash the converter MPU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 02:21AM by o_lampe.
Re: RUMBA Bootloader using Arduino as ISP
September 29, 2018 05:59AM
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I know this is an old thread but in my search for a solution for the same problem, I eventually found a solution that no one else seemed to mention so thought I have to post it somewhere in a hope it will help others.

After 2 days of being unsuccessful with the Arduino Software and even with 'XLoader' trying all the recommended steps of reloading software, resetting the Rumba board etc, I had to start thinking outside of the box.

I was positive that I had the correct Board selected and the correct port. I had also loaded the correct USB RUMBA software.

After giving up with the Arduino program, consistently getting the 'Time out" message I then tried with the free program "XLoader" but even here the RUMBA board would sit with the RX flashing every 10 seconds or so and after a very long wait I found that the program had hung up. After rebooting the computer and the board, it got me thinking for other solutions that had not been posted yet.

The answer that worked for me was the following. (Sorry this is a Windows 7 solution but I am sure it will help with other OS's as well.)

Windows - Go to 'Start Menu'
Go to 'Device Manager'
Select the port that is your Arduino/Rumba board (in my case it was Com 8)
Right click on the port and select "Properties"
select the 'Port Settings' tab
change 'Flow Control' from none to "Hardware"

After making the change and reloading XLoader, suddenly all the TX and RX lights on the RUMBA board lit up like November 5th. Oh Joy.

I then went back to the Arduino Program and tested this and it worked as well.

So it seems that the port is trying to do basic flow control hand shaking and this is why the Arduino software eventually times out giving the errors as posted by other contributors to this forum.

The clue that helped me reach this conclusion is that with the 'XLoader' program running, I noted that the RX led on the RUMBA would flash every 10 seconds or so which made me suspect that the board was waiting for something. I can vaguely remember things about 'Clear To Send' and 'Request To Send' from back when using old dial up modems to connect to the world.

I really hope this helps someone else. If it does, please post back here to let others know that it worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login