Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS GEN_L heater bed not working

Posted by Tryit 
MKS GEN_L heater bed not working
November 29, 2018 11:53AM
I modified the electronics on my FLSUN I3 plus to incorporate a different power supply and added an external mosfet to the heater bed output. I also added a economy controller as well as the TFT touch screen.

This worked fine. However during a print today I had a thermal runway message. Now there seems no output from the MKS GEN_L board.

Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to buy a new board sad smiley

I wondered if replacing the board Mosfet or if there were some kind of fuse that might be possible to reset/change. I guess the lowest (nearest to hot bed output) mosfet is the relevant one.

I am not clear what has gone wrong, here is what I find so far:

The bed with 12v applied directly gets warm."
The hotbed output from the gen board seems dead. Not even a LED on the board lights when I do a "PLA preheat bed" from the simple control panel.

I have not tested the external MOSFET yet.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 12:46PM by Tryit.
Re: MKS GEN_L heater bed not working
November 29, 2018 07:57PM
If the led is not on, its not trying to turn on

check the bed thermister is reading room temperature
November 30, 2018 01:42PM
Briillint!

Schoolboy error I was testing having removed the bed from the machine.

Wired it up and it appears to be to be working !?!?!
December 05, 2018 06:38PM
Figured it out!

Unfortunately prints were still failing with thermal runaway errors.

After many false trails I found the external MOSFET board was working intermittently. Once I got to looking at the rear of the board I found one of the terminals had a dry solder joint. It now works! Discovered after having ordered replacement - oh well!
December 05, 2018 07:48PM
Tryit
After many false trails I found the external MOSFET board was working intermittently. Once I got to looking at the rear of the board I found one of the terminals had a dry solder joint. It now works! Discovered after having ordered replacement - oh well!

Learned something new.
Can not remember every hearing of a dry solder joint, we always called them cold solder joints. AKA Broken solder joint:

Lookup on Web for Dry Solder joint. A cracked, fractured or broken solder joint is sometimes called a 'cold' or ‘dry’ solder joint looks dull and crusty.
You might even see a ring or crack around the pin or leg.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login