Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mks Gen L and nothing!

Posted by aamcle 
Mks Gen L and nothing!
December 03, 2018 05:53AM
I've fitted a MKS Gen L board to a CTC Dual and got Matlin 1.1.9 configured and compiled but then nothing I'm stuck again.

When I try to upload the compiled firmware to the board I just get a time out respond from the Arduino IDE which is running on a Win10 box.

I've tried changing Com ports ( only Coms 1 and 3 are offered as choices.) and set the baud rate on the PC to match that of the Marlin install not that it should matter.

As far as I can tell my wiring is good and all the plugs are in the right sockets

There is no sign of life from the board, no lights, no beeps, the only thing running are the fans on the hot ends and I don't think they should be.

The display seems to be RepRap budget item and it's not lighting up at any time even though it's plugged in correctly.

One odd occurrence was that when I tuned the steppers I could not get the voltage over 0.15v which doesn't seem right.

How do I find out if the board is defective? I've checked the board under a magnifying lense and nothing looks as if it's burnt.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks All. Aamcle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 06:00AM by aamcle.
Re: Mks Gen L and nothing!
December 03, 2018 06:33AM
have you ever successfully uploaded firmware to this board?

are there any unknown usb devices in your device manager? as you do need to install a ch340 drivers. drivers here [sparks.gogo.co.nz]
December 03, 2018 06:50AM
This is the first time the board has been used I'll try that driver.

Thanks
December 03, 2018 12:45PM
I used that driver and still nothing, is there any way to check if the board is functional?

I'm now concerned that it may be defective.

Should the board have any LEDs illuminated or any other sign of life?

Thanks. aamcle

These are the messages I get : -

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 108702 bytes (42%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 4115 bytes (50%) of dynamic memory, leaving 4077 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

ATB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 01:55PM by aamcle.
December 03, 2018 07:04PM
until it has firmware on it, it is basically a brick... you cant do anything with it or test any part of it.

I would try and install install a new bootloader [jgaurorawiki.com]

Once the boot loader is installed try uploading the firmware again.

All that error says is the arduino software can't talk to the boot loader on the chip, it doesn't give any clues as to what the issue is.
The most common issues are serial drivers, and no boot loader
December 04, 2018 04:50PM
Sorted I found another board and I was able to flash Marlin.

Thanks All.
April 30, 2019 06:18PM
I just received an MKS Gen L board purchased on ebay.
I've connected the LCD and power supply and powered up but all that happens is a slow beep and the LCD backlight flashes.
The power supply is connected correctly as are the EXP1 and EXP2 cables between the boards. There are no stepper drivers installed yet.
Is this board faulty or is this what should be seen until the firmware is uploaded?
May 29, 2019 08:30AM
>The power supply is connected correctly as are the EXP1 and EXP2 cables between the boards.

Flip the plugs over, same sockets, just so the notched side is opposite where it is now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login