Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help diagnosing issue with MKS Gen L board with CR10

Posted by Paul41 
Help diagnosing issue with MKS Gen L board with CR10
January 20, 2019 06:30PM
Hi

I’m new to this forum and looking for advice on what next steps I can do to diagnose my current issue.

Project: Quieten my CR10s further using TMC2208 stepper drivers.

I purchased MKS Gen L version 1 board and MKS TFT 28” LCD.

Wired everything together and set voltages on stepper drivers. CR10s has dual Z motors so used additional E1 port to connect this.

Flashed Marlin by making appropriate modifications, might still be some tweaking required here in relation to Z axis and defining stepper motor in relation to E1 slot.

Connected MKS 28 and connected my existing CR10s LCD using only EXT2 slot reversing the connection.

Turn printer on but LCD is not working at all. Plugging in additional EXT1 cable results in loud beeping sounds, for now I just completely disconnected this and hope to address this later.

Using the touch screen I can go to home and home X, Y axis although positions are wrong. The Y and X can move too far to end where there are no end stops resulting me having to turn printer off. It doesn’t know it’s original position. The end stop switches at other ends do work.

The Z axis motor plugged into the E1 is not moving.

When I go to other menu to simply ‘move’ axis this function is not working on any axis. I find this strange as the home x y and z do result in movement.

I’m thinking the touch screen is not always correctly sending signal to my printer.

How can I start to diagnose these issues? Is there a way to control printer directly from PC or monitor what signals are being sent from touchscreen?

I’ve double checked my wiring and it all seems to be in place. I’m mainly looking for ideas on where i start diagnosing what appears to be multiple issues

Thanks in advance
Re: Help diagnosing issue with MKS Gen L board with CR10
January 20, 2019 07:09PM
you need to configure your firmware to match you hardware

read threw configuration.h, Its all documented in there... and edit as needed

take particular note of the homeing and printer size areas
Do not enable any lcd's (its not needed in this case)

the TFT only takes one 8 pin cable to the controller. The other connectors on the tft is for the wifi adapter and the auto power resume features.

the TFT is not just a screen. It is a small dedicated computer, it talk to the controller over serial, It just send standard gcodes.

You need to check your printer if functioning properly before using the tft. the tft presumes you have everything working and will not display many errors.

unplug the tft, and connect the controller to your computer, use pronterface for testing.
January 20, 2019 07:29PM
Thank you for your reply, pronterface is my way forward! I will give that a try tomorrow.
January 21, 2019 05:22PM
Hi I got the printer connected with Pronterface and check the end stops are triggered by using command M119. This all passed.

Next I attempt to use X and Y arrows to move motors but nothing happens, I’m not even seeing a command being send or error codes.

If I press the home X button the motors move and it correctly homes the X

If I press the home Y button the motors move and it correctly homes the Y

Any ideas why I just cannot move X and Y using arrows? I’m not sure where to go from this stage?
January 21, 2019 05:28PM
When attempting to move X axis I can see code M105 is being sent but no movement. It states RECV ok T:-15.00 /0.00 B.0.00 /0.00
January 21, 2019 07:15PM
M105: Get Extruder Temperature

this is just updating the temperature graphs in the display

first set relative of absolute positioning
G90: Set to Absolute Positioning
G91: Set to Relative Positioning

I use Absolute for testing, that way you can just tell it to go to a particular location on the bed.

then manually tell it to move with a G1 command

ie G1 X{position} Y{position} F{feedrate in mm/min)
January 22, 2019 06:26PM
Thank you

What I have found is using marlin there is a section to state TMC2208 drivers which if I enable gives me the issues on moving axis for X and Y but they will home correctly.

If I remove section and don’t state TMC2208 drivers in standalone mode it works correctly.

The thing is I am wanting the drivers to work in stand-alone mode

So if in configuration file I state TMC2208 STANDALONE for x and y and in advanced
;
Configurationadv.h

#define HAVE_TMC2208

#if ENABLED(HAVE_TMC2130) || ENABLED(HAVE_TMC2208)

#define X_IS_TMC2208
#define Y_IS_TMC2208

I also load in driver for TMC2208 in Marlin x and y don’t move in Pronterface but will home.

Any ideas?

Thanks
February 15, 2019 09:14AM
some things that come to mind:

2208 drivers step *the opposite direction* of the 4988's you replaced. There are defines in configuration.h to tell Marlin to invert the axis, alternatively you can make your step rate negative for any axis you have 2208s on, some people even resort to re-arranging the pins in the connectors. Just uncommenting the 'invert_x_axis' or whatever define is the simplest way to deal with it IMHO.

Did you remove the MS3 jumpers when you installed the 2208 boards? I missed this step the first time I used this setup (MKS+2208), couldn't move the motors. Removing the jumper cleared that up.

I have no idea what screen comes with the 10s, but I have a 'reprap discount full graphics controller' that will only work with my MKS GEN L board if *both* cables are plugged in backwards. One appears to power the display, the other carries the encoder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login