Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC 2208 on ramps plugged straight in no mods marlin advice

Posted by Paul41 
TMC 2208 on ramps plugged straight in no mods marlin advice
January 23, 2019 04:56PM
I have ramps board and got new TMC2208 divers fitted.
I know I have fitted them correctly and set correct voltage. No further modifications just plugged in as is.

Without making ‘any’ changes in marlin apart from inverting them the printer is working as expected. I’m not sure if that means I am getting any benefits from using them?

If I change configuration file and state either

Driver TMC2208 or TMC2208_Standalone they seem to stop working. Although they will home but not move after that.

In advanced I’ve also tried setting

Configurationadv.h

#define HAVE_TMC2208

#if ENABLED(HAVE_TMC2130) || ENABLED(HAVE_TMC2208)

#define X_IS_TMC2208
#define Y_IS_TMC2208

Can someone tell me if you ‘need’ to change these values in Marlin or is this only necessarily if I modify the pins on the drivers?
Re: TMC 2208 on ramps plugged straight in no mods marlin advice
January 24, 2019 01:44AM
Paul41
Without making ‘any’ changes in marlin apart from inverting them the printer is working as expected. I’m not sure if that means I am getting any benefits from using them?

I use them that way and my benefit is that my printer now operates much quieter than before...smiling smiley
Re: TMC 2208 on ramps plugged straight in no mods marlin advice
February 15, 2019 09:23AM
You only need to define the 'HAVE_TMC????' lines if you have wired them up to use SPI/UART control, otherwise the boards should 'just work' in standalone mode. FWIW, in standalone mode they will run much quieter than the 4988's they replace, and honestly, being able to program the on the fly for voltage and step rate is solidly 'meh' IMHO since you're unlikely to vary those settings once you pick what you want for your printer. You could just as easily OTP them via one of the many USB programmers and be done with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login