Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS 1.5 Compatible Stepper Drivers?

Posted by peps1 
RADDS 1.5 Compatible Stepper Drivers?
March 21, 2019 01:26AM
Hello, looking to switch out my DRV8825 drivers, but the RADDS manual only states support for RAPS128 Drivers as an upgrade. Are there any other drivers like the TMC2208 that will work with RADDS that don't require lots of mods to the boards wiring?

Thank you for taking the time to read.
VDX
Re: RADDS 1.5 Compatible Stepper Drivers?
March 21, 2019 03:37AM
... the RAPS128 have the same pinout as the other "pololu-like" drivers - only the polarity of the enable-pin has to be inverted in the firmware ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 21, 2019 11:26AM
VDX
... the RAPS128 have the same pinout as the other "pololu-like" drivers - only the polarity of the enable-pin has to be inverted in the firmware ...

Thanks, VDX, I get the RAPS128 will work, I just wondering what my other options would be on the RADDS board?
April 03, 2019 01:25AM
peps1
VDX

Thanks, VDX, I get the RAPS128 will work, I just wondering what my other options would be on the RADDS board?

Any pololu style stepstick should work in the RADDS provided that your firmware supports it (or can be kludged to support it).

My RADDS has tmc2130 (w/ spi) and lv8729 in it. I ordered some tmc5160 and do not expect that there will be issues.

There is a consideration with all trinamic drivers (and possibly others) that they require VMOT to be powered before VDD, which means that you have to assure that the DUE board is not powered over USB prior to the RADDS having 12v or 24v power applied. But that's not a RADDS thing, it's true no matter where you use them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 01:28AM by Timpanogos Slim.
April 03, 2019 03:04AM
Timpanogos Slim
There is a consideration with all trinamic drivers (and possibly others) that they require VMOT to be powered before VDD, which means that you have to assure that the DUE board is not powered over USB prior to the RADDS having 12v or 24v power applied. But that's not a RADDS thing, it's true no matter where you use them.

That's not quite true. You can apply Vdd before Vmot, but the SPI or UART interface won't work until you apply Vmot. So you have to delay initialising them until Vmot is present, and if Vmot is lost and then restored then you need to re-initialise them. Duet electronics with RepRapFirmware does this.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 05, 2019 02:13AM
dc42
Timpanogos Slim

That's not quite true. You can apply Vdd before Vmot, but the SPI or UART interface won't work until you apply Vmot. So you have to delay initialising them until Vmot is present, and if Vmot is lost and then restored then you need to re-initialise them. Duet electronics with RepRapFirmware does this.

That must be nice. Marlin just halts and demands to be reset.
July 05, 2019 02:27PM
Bonjour

J'ai des lv8729 sur radds comment configurer marlin 2

Il paraît qu'il faut inverser la polarité mais je ne c'est pas où on change dans marlin

merci
VDX
July 05, 2019 03:10PM
... look into "Configuration.h" around line-number 950:

.... regardez dans "Configuration.h" autour du numéro de ligne 950 :

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
// :{ 0:'Low', 1:'High' }
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login