Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BigTreeTech SKR v1.3

Posted by Pippy 
BigTreeTech SKR v1.3
April 05, 2019 04:51AM
A 32-bit ARM board for £15 is quite amazing really, no more messy TMC added wiring. Just goes to show how the rest of the world inflates their prices, plus how little the chinese workers get paid etc.

As much as I dislike what the chinese get up too (some of it out strips your worst nightmares by far), this new board together with the new TMC 5160/5161's I'm sure is going to be the go too combination for a lot out there, don't you think ?

I'm going to find it difficult to understand why the Marlin dev's will keep the 8-bit code going when it's actually cheaper to buy a 32-bit board than it is an 8-bit board.
Although their is still that problem with combining some of the features in Marlin when it comes to the 32-bit LPC MCU's, which I do hope they fix in time to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 04:58AM by Pippy.
Re: BigTreeTech SKR v1.3
April 15, 2019 01:34PM
Marlin 2.0 supports some 32 bit boards, including this one from BigTreeTech.
You can find an adapted copy on BigTreeTech Github:
[github.com]
April 16, 2019 12:23PM
You have me intrigued about this intrigued this controller BigTreeTech SKR v1.3.

How would you setup Arduino 1.9.0 IDE to compile Marlin 2.0 for this controller.
I would like to compile the firmware before buying the controller.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 16, 2019 03:41PM
Roberts_Clif
How would you setup Arduino 1.9.0 IDE to compile Marlin 2.0 for this controller.
I would like to compile the firmware before buying the controller.

You can't use the arduino IDE for this, you need to move to PlatformIO and Atom (or VSCode) to start playing with Marlin and this 32-bit board (and other 32-bit boards).

Atom

The arduino IDE was originally written for beginner students to get into programming, wasn't really meant for production use etc.

YouTube video showing how to install PlatformIO and Atom and compiling Marlin v2 32-bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 03:42PM by Pippy.
April 16, 2019 04:20PM
OK!

This is strange because it says on the link you posted

To build Marlin 2.0 you'll need Arduino IDE 1.9 or PlatformIO. We've posted detailed instructions on how to build Marlin 2.0 for ARM.

Sorry called to work got to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 04:24PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 17, 2019 03:00AM
Roberts_Clif
OK!

This is strange because it says on the link you posted

To build Marlin 2.0 you'll need Arduino IDE 1.9 or PlatformIO. We've posted detailed instructions on how to build Marlin 2.0 for ARM.

Yes I know, though it might depend on what stepper motor drivers you use, I can't remember at the moment (not long woke up), but there was a reason why Arduino IDE couldn't be used for compiliing for this board.

Anyway, once you've got use to PlatformIO and Atom, you don't want to go back to using the Arduino IDE, even though Atom has a couple of weird ways of operating.

YouTube BigTreeTech using PlatfirmIO

Anyway, try using the Arduino IDE, let me know if you get it working for this board.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 04:34AM by Pippy.
August 04, 2019 01:02AM
I have a HUGE problem with Marlin that nice people tried to help me with but nothing I did would solve the issue. X,Y,E all work but Z refuses even when switched to a different port/driver. I purchased a paper weight since the only thing that will run on it is Marlin.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
August 04, 2019 02:17AM
Dark Alchemist
since the only thing that will run on it is Marlin.

It also smoothieware compatible
August 04, 2019 10:27AM
From what I have read Smoothie is too out of date to be a viable choice. edit: I also found nothing on how to do this or where to go to get Smoothie to flash it on the controller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 10:32AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
August 04, 2019 12:25PM
It was very simple to add Smoothie but what isn't simple is adding the GLCD because the wires are opposite to what Smoothie uses. Same for MKS boards and now this and I am not going to cut and solder wires when in Marlin I would just head over to the pins file and recompile. I am still looking if anyone has done this but most cut wires and swap them which is barbaric.

_______
August 04, 2019 02:04PM
Arduino Due based boards, like the RADDS can be programmed using Arduino IDE. The other boards use SD cards with boot files, similar to smoothie. For thos you need Plattform IO

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 04, 2019 02:25PM
I am now using Atom but I am not too fond of Platform.io as it seems to be a HUGE resource hog to the point it maxes out my Ryzen 1600 and goes over 100% CPU when I first load it. Not sure what they are doing.

If Marlin 2.0 turns out to be a dud for me on this new board, and Smoothie demands I have to cut wires and swap them then I purchased a brick with the SKR V1.3 and my only option is to live with an 8bit board or go to a Due just so I can keep away from Marlin. Supposedly Repetier will be updated for the NXP boards and tbh I rather loved the Repetier firmware I replaced Marlin 1.1.8 with.

_______
August 04, 2019 04:49PM
There is also a build of RepRapFirmware for the SKR 1.3.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 04, 2019 05:14PM
dc42
Any docs on how to get it running? Smoothie was silky smooth to install but getting the ReRapDiscount GLCD to run requires surgery.

_______
August 05, 2019 04:36PM
Dark Alchemist
dc42
Any docs on how to get it running? Smoothie was silky smooth to install but getting the ReRapDiscount GLCD to run requires surgery.

The code is at [github.com] and it includes sample boards configs at [github.com]. It looks like you've already found the discussion thread at [reprap.org].

I know that the LPC port supports the RRD 12864 display, so if the SKR hardware supports it, it should just need the right board config file.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 05, 2019 05:48PM
It does support it as it worked with Marlin but I can't figure out what to do since it is not nearly as friendly as Marlin is.

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login