Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to update Marlin on this HY_BASE_L V1.0 board...

Posted by CVRIV 
Trying to update Marlin on this HY_BASE_L V1.0 board...
December 05, 2019 12:12AM
OMG.

So I have these two knock-off printers (Alunar M508) I bought a while ago. They are very similar to the Anet A8's.

My buddy updated the firmware for the one printer, but forgot how he did iteye rolling smiley, so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to update the firmware on my own.

Each machine has a board that says HY_BASE_L V1.0 on it. The processor says ATMEGA 2560 on it. There's no info on the internet about these boards. Frustrating.

I downloaded the latest version of Marlin and the Arduino IDE.

I did some research and decided to the use the "Anet 1.0" Marlin Config files. I opened the Marlin.ino file using Arduino IDE. I connected the printer to my laptop using the supplied USB cable. When I go to the tools menu, the port says COM4(ATMEGA 2560 or something else can't remember). When I click board info it tells me Arduino ATMEGA 2560. I selected that as the board in tools > board, but when I compile I'm getting an error that says to use sanguino and some other processor ATMEGA 1284P or something. When I do all that it successfully compiles, but why? I feel like thats not right, but I don't know much about all this.

Anyways.... after compiling I get some "avrdude stk500_getsync" error, which I read is a communication error. I tried pushing the reset button, restarting Arduino IDE, uploading with printer on and printer off, changing which usb I use on my laptop.

I dont know what else to do. This is frustrating. Should of never bought these machines.
Re: Trying to update Marlin on this HY_BASE_L V1.0 board...
December 05, 2019 12:35AM
I found this:
[github.com]

This is pretty much what I did using Arduino IDE. It says use Arduino ATMEGA 2560 or..., but when I do it won't compile. This page doesn't mention anything about any uploading errors.
December 05, 2019 01:31AM
The config files are for particular printers with particular processors
You have already noted that your board comes with a mega2560 but then you chose a printer that has a 1284p on it???

The type processor also sets how to upload to the board.. Which is why you cant upload.

How new are you trying to upgrade to?

As I have found what looks to be a working marlin 1.1.7 for your machine [github.com]

But if you want something newer, You will need to put some work into it.

If you after Marlin 1.1.9 you can use the config data in Configuration_Alunar.h and Configuration_Alunar_adv.h in 1.1.9 with very few changes.
If your after Marlin 2 the config files is quite different and it would be better to copy the data from the 1.1.7 config files into a fresh Configuration.h file.

And you controller looks like it is just a RAMPS compatable, so set #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 01:34AM by Dust.
December 05, 2019 01:37AM
For goodness sake take screen shot or something with the errors!

I compiled that version and it compiled fine. So it something at your end... (but I didn't try uploading it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 01:46AM by Dust.
December 05, 2019 01:43AM
It is quite possible they they didn't supply the board with a bootloader... which would be annoying. but not insurmountable
December 05, 2019 02:09AM
I was trying to install the latest version of Marlin 2. I don't know what version of Marlin my buddy updated my other machine with. I'm going to ask him and tell him to remember because this is annoying. I'm almost ready to just buy newer more easy to work with boards. I can't stand this guessing game BS. I know that the machine with the updated Marlin has bed auto-leveling, which is what im looking to have.

So yea.... I know the processor is ATMEGA 2560, but the error in Arduino IDE says to use ATMEGA 1284P and Sanguino. I don't get it. When I tried to compile fro ATMEGA 2560 I was getting the error.

I'm goign to try again when I get home from work. I will post pic of the errors so you can see.

Yes it appears very similar to RAMPS 1.4 EFB.

Thanks for replying so quick. I'll update when I get home from work in a few hours. Thanks.
December 05, 2019 08:36AM
Ok....... I got home and compiled Marlin 2 using "#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB" in the default config file.

In Arduino IDE I specified board: Arduino Mega or Mega 2560 and processor: ATMega 2560.

It compiled and even uploaded it to my board! This firmware isn't working with my machine though because it's unresponsive now. The LCD comes on with all white boxes and that's it.

What's next? Does this mean that Marlin 2 doesn't work with my machine or is this version just not configured correctly?
December 05, 2019 09:03AM
I updated my machine with this version:
[github.com]

It's works and I'm pretty sure it's exactly what my buddy used to update my other machine. I just have to go through the config file to enable auto bed leveling etc.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login