Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"TMC connection error" with TMC2209 drivers

Posted by Lupek 
"TMC connection error" with TMC2209 drivers
March 10, 2020 05:36PM
Hello,
I have home made 3D printer, Ramps board with latest 2.0.4.4 Marlin release and Bigtreetech TMC2209 drivers on X and Y axis. I am able to move axis, but UART connection don't work. "TMC connection error" is shown on LCD all the time.

I checked all connections multiple times, ask for support on FB page, seeking for solution on internet but infortunately, after one month, I still didn't manage to solve it. So I am asking you for some help.

Regards,
Luka
Attachments:
open | download - TMC_issue.zip (64.1 KB)
Re: "TMC connection error" with TMC2209 drivers
March 11, 2020 12:13AM
Why didn't you include all the information?

For anyone looking see the following for many more details
[github.com]

Please take a picture on how you have it all wired up on the ramps. high enough res that we can see where you have plugged in the wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 12:31AM by Dust.
March 11, 2020 01:44PM
See attached images. 1K resistor is under shrinktube, connected to brown wire.

Regards,
Luka

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 05:44PM by Lupek.
Attachments:
open | download - 1-min.jpg (217.5 KB)
open | download - 2-min.jpg (224.2 KB)
March 11, 2020 06:04PM
How are you powering the RAMPS? Via USB or via the main power supply? If you are powering via USB, how do you turn on the main power supply? If the USB power is provided before the main power the driver initialization will fail and you'll have to execute M501 to reinitialize the drivers once main power is applied.

Also, ensure that there are no jumpers installed under the drivers. For TMC2209 the jumpers that set micro steps for other drivers instead are used to set an address for the 2209. If the jumper setting does not match the setting of X_SLAVE_ADDRESS, Y_SLAVE_ADDRESS,etc in Configuration_adv.h then the driver won't respond to the UART data. The default for the addresses is 0 which means no jumpers.
March 12, 2020 04:51PM
It is powered with 12V power supply from old PC. I meassureed also voltage directly on TMC driver, pins VM and GND and it was 12.2V. All jumpers below TMC drivers are removed on X and Y axis, where I use TMC drivers. But I keeppt them on Z, E1 and E2 where A4988 are used. All slave adresses are set to "0"
Attachments:
open | download - TMC connection error with TMC2209 drivers - Google Chrome.jpg (35.5 KB)
March 14, 2020 11:25AM
Could anyone with more knowledge about UART comunication explain me how this comunication works? I meassured signal on TX and RX port with analog 20MHz osciloscope and all I see is just constant 5V voltage. What is normal comunication frequency? Should driver and arduino comunicate all the time or just from time to time? I am quite suspicious that there is some mistake in arduino program.

Regards,
Luka
March 14, 2020 12:04PM
With a ramps it just communicates on setup or if you request information via gcode
March 14, 2020 03:37PM
Thanks. This was very usefull information. I measured signal on TX port when M122 was executed and I see some signal. Therefore at least TX seems to work properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2020 03:38PM by Lupek.
March 24, 2020 04:06PM
I still didn't manage to solve this issue. As mentioned in previous post, I am now sure that TX port gives signal. Next step would be to check if driver gives any signal. If I meassure signal with osciloscope, and grab pint head in order to skip few steps. Should I see signal on driver druring step skipping?
March 30, 2020 12:42AM
I received the same error. I had chosen tmc2208 and received The same error. It got me thinking, Try the tmc2208 standalone (or something like that) and it WORKED. No more connection errors. I guess that if they don't have some extra connection they are considered stand alone.
April 02, 2020 03:53PM
In standalone mode TMC connection error disappear also in my case. But as far as I know, UART connection is disabled in standalone mode and except hidden error message, main issue still remains.

Regards,
Luka
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login