Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smart controller SD card reader is worn out

Posted by HugoW 
Smart controller SD card reader is worn out
March 20, 2020 12:02PM
Hi,

I run an MKS Sbase 1.3 board with a normal Reprap Full Graphic Smart Controller, and I print from the SD card. Now the SD card reader is worn out. I replaced the SD card but that is not the problem; the cards slide in and out very easily. And often I need to retry a lot of times before the card is read properly. So, simple solution would be to just replace the controller that includes the SD card reader. But I would like to upgrade something, avoid the problem in the future. Is there for instance a mechanically better SD card reader I could solder in place of the original? Maybe one that reads MicoSD direct, as that is what I fit into my computer, and via a regular size dummy into the printer. Or are there such smartcontrollers but with USB stick readers?

Please don't direct me to the MKS TFT option, I fought that darn thing for ages and all has been perfect since I 'downgraded' to the normal smart controller.

Cheers,

Hugo
Re: Smart controller SD card reader is worn out
March 20, 2020 01:28PM
Have basically the same problem though using the Reprap Discount Smart Controller.
Finding that If the SD card is plugged in when the 3D Printer boots it works, when the SD card is inserted while running it fails.

I believe that for some reason the SD card inserted fails only when the 3D Printer is already powered on,

After Further testing it appears that on my Controller SD inserted properties is always on, therefore it does not know the SD Card was removed or replaced.
Therefore when it is booted SD card is read properly, when the SD card is removed it get confused and cannot re-read the SD card.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 01:59PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 21, 2020 04:35AM
Thanks, but that is not the case with mine. It sometimes sees the SD card after booting, but it is becoming more often it doesn't. My Marlin 2.0 has the ability to boot the card, but if often just doesn't see it. Re-inserting a few times does make it work. And the card feels progressivly loser and the problem is increasing.

Hugo
March 21, 2020 09:30AM
Does this happen when you insert the card into your computer, if so you may need to clean the contacts on the SD Card.

I use a non-abrasive Euro Tool fiberglass cleaning tool, though a pink eraser will work just a well for removing oxidation from the SD card contacts ...

I have deturmined that my SD Card reader does not have a working inserted mechanism, will try to find how this inserted function works and repair if possible.
Swapped the LCD with a Backup and it is again function correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 09:37AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login