Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Gen_L SD card not always working

Posted by daninet 
MKS Gen_L SD card not always working
February 07, 2022 12:09PM
Hello!
I have this Gen_L v1.0 board no SD card slot on it. I have an external SD card reader (that cheap 5pin type used for arduino projects), I have defined the pins in marlin, I have uploaded an autostart gcode and it starts about 1/3 of the times. I can always read the content of the card with pronterface, I don't have any read/write issues, this autostart thingy only works a handful of times for whatever reason. I had a reprap discount LCD in the drawer and I have connected it. The SD card reader on the LCD works all the time, the gcode always runs on powerup. I want to keep this as a low power project as it will be battery operated so preferably I don't need the screen just the reliable SD card.

Questions:
Can I connect my SD card reader to some of the EXP1 EXP2 pins and expect it to work better? (I'm not sure if there are dedicated MOSI/MISO/CS pins in EXP1/EXP2 please tell me if there are)
Do you have any tips to make the SD card reader more reliable on startup?
Do you know an SD card reader that is maybe better in working at startup?
As a last resort, is the discount screen pcb going to work if I desolder the LCD and keep the board only?
Re: MKS Gen_L SD card not always working
February 09, 2022 11:48AM
I have solved the issue why the external SD card reader not working and why it is working with the LCD. Here is the solution for anyone find this forum post:

The SD card reader has one less pin, it has no SD detect. However Gen_L expects SD detect to initialize the SD card. If I turn off the pin everything works fine. The reason it was working with the LCD is that it has SD detect pin in the EXT2 pins.
Open the \Marlin-xxx\Marlin\src\pins\ramps\pins_MKS_GEN_L.h file and add #define SD_DETECT_PIN -1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login