Custom electronics
July 12, 2011 07:25AM
Hello,

I've designed my own custom electronics PCB for my future prusa mendel build. The choice for a custom board as opposed to the many existing electronics is based primarily on the following:
    * I want a board that's easy to etch myself
    * I want a board that doesn't require an ATX PSU
    * I just think it's fun to design my own electronics

So this is what I made:
Board:
Schematic:

It has the following features:
    * All traces are at least 32 mills, with at least 24 mills spacing
    * Separate voltages for the electronics, the motors and both heaters
    * Compatible with an ATX PSU if you connect the right wires to the ATX connector (the board features a PS/on output and a separate +5V standby supply rail to power only the MCU next to the regular +5V supply rail for the rest of the electronics)
    * Integrated USB connection using a standard SSOP28 to DIP breakout board for the FT232RL
    * Fits on a standard 160 x 100 mm PCB

Now, this is actually the first PCB I've made. Therefore, I'm a bit worried that I made some rookie mistakes. Any comments on the board or the schematic are very welcome!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 08:43AM by pietr.
Re: Custom electronics
July 12, 2011 10:30AM
Perhaps you can pick some idea from here: [reprap.org]

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
July 12, 2011 01:18PM
Absolutely, the board is already partly based on the Gen 7 electronics, with some modifications.
July 15, 2011 03:45AM
Looks good!

I'd make the traces for the heater current even wider. There's still a bit place left, so use it!

In the stepper driver breakout board, does MS1 have a pullup or pulldown now? With the A4983 breakout board, an external pulldown is required. Just MS1; MS2 and MS3 are fine.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 16, 2011 08:28AM
Yes, you are absolutely right! I forgot the MS1 external pulldown. I'm updating the schematic and board to fix this and I'll also make the heater traces even wider.

Thanks for the check-up, it may have saved me a lot of trouble!

Edit: I've added the updated board and schematic to the opening post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 08:43AM by pietr.
January 10, 2012 06:12AM
Hi Pietr,

Do you have the Eagle schematic and board files online somewhere? Id like to have a go at manufacturing and assembling you board at home.

Thanks,

Liam
January 10, 2012 06:18AM
Hi Liam,

I don't have the Eagle files online yet, but I'm planning to publish them somewhere in the near future.

I'll send you the most recent version of the eagle files through a PM today or tomorrow.

Note that I've also written my own firmware for this board. It's currently still in development but for me it works great. I'm planning to make a version 0.1 release of it this month. It can be found here: [code.google.com] .
January 10, 2012 07:00AM
Thanks Pietr,

That sounds great. Once I get the board made I will test your code and see how I go.

Regards,

Liam
February 07, 2012 01:51AM
As the time passing technology is advancing to new steps. Now everyone needs everything fast Gen 7 electronics is good to go as they are fast! Runs at 20 MHz -> 25% more speed. (generates more speed)

Extractor Fans
Concentration On Main Code
March 25, 2012 10:14AM
Thanks Your Efforts.
I think the concrete and simple code is better than unkowned comlexed.
Main Concept be in Algo.

In RepRep users, Capable detail auxial code.
So, I think Your Code must be a main skeleton.

If three heater controlled in a nozzle , U need not add code.
It's the specific coder's job using your code.....

I think so,,,
Good Luck...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 10:20AM by populous.
Re: Concentration On Main Code
March 25, 2012 10:55AM
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are saying smiling smiley.

--------
Visit my blog: [blog.agten.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login