Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help on wiring up 8 wire stepper motor

Posted by andy hall 
Help on wiring up 8 wire stepper motor
February 02, 2008 11:46AM
I have just completed all the Ardunio electronic and I cannot make my stepper motor drive. All 3 LED's come on and 2 change colour but as soon as I plug in the stepper either the leds go out or the power supply trips . When I put a multi meter accross the outputs I get about 10v over a and b and the same over c and d.

I am guessing that I have wired up the stepper motor incorrectly unless anyone else has any other ideas. It is the motor from bits from bytes.

I have wired together blue and red/white and made blue/white A and red B

Then wired together black/white and green then made green/white C and black D.

Thanks

Andy
Re: Help on wiring up 8 wire stepper motor
February 02, 2008 12:36PM
What sort of power supply are you using? The fact that you say it trips doesn't sound like a PC power supply.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 02, 2008 01:00PM
It is an old PC power supply. It stops working, I turn it on and off and it starts again

Andy
February 02, 2008 01:30PM
Your colours don't quite match the two standard motors in the Wiki but I am guessing you should have connected red/white and blue/white and used red and blue. Similarly connect black/white and green/white and use green and black.

Getting that wrong would give your motor zero inductance so the current would build up very quickly, possibly too fast for the chopper to control properly.

Odd the PSU would shut down as normally a PC 12V rail would easily supply the current no matter how you wired the motor unless you had a short circuit.

It could be detecting over voltage due to spikes caused by back EMF. Are you using the powercomms board with the big capacitors on it to distribute the power?

February 02, 2008 03:17PM
Another reason your PSU may shut down is that it might need a load on the 5V rail to make the 12V rail work properly.

February 05, 2008 02:36PM
Fixed the problem.

I got it working by putting a jumper on the slave/master jumper. This solved the problem and I used my original wiring

(I have wired together blue and red/white and made blue/white A and red B

Then wired together black/white and green then made green/white C and black D.)

I also bought a new 350w power supply as the old one was only 200w and was very old.

Thanks for the help nophead

Andy
February 05, 2008 03:09PM
Are the connections for the motor documented anywhere then? They could do with being added to the Wiki.

February 05, 2008 03:17PM
This page documents wireing for the Nanotec ST5709S1208-B and Keling KL23H51-24-08B, but the model of the motor on bitsfrombytes is not listed.
[www.reprap.org]
Does anyone know what the bitsfrombytes motor is / have specs for it?
February 05, 2008 03:24PM
Sorry for the stupid question but how do you post stuff onto the wiki? The fact that the jumper needs to be on also needs to be added to the wiki.

If you type the spec "fl57sth51 stepper" into google you can get the spec from this website as a PDF but it is copywrited so I would hestitate to post it.

Andy
February 05, 2008 03:31PM
hey andy, we had to disable registration to fight spammers, but PM me and i can get you setup with access.

as for the pdf, i wouldnt worry, but we dont have to host it on-site. the wiki links directly to the other pdfs as well. we can add it into the stepper page.

i'll try and add the jumper info the the stepper driver page.
February 05, 2008 03:35PM
The PDF's just give me 404 here. Can anybody else see them?

February 05, 2008 05:27PM
This is the one I used which on closer examination is not exactly the same number (oops) but the wiring worked!
[www.motioncontrolproducts.com]

Andy
February 21, 2008 04:16AM
Just to confirm I received Fl57STH51-3008B stepper motors from bitsfrombytes.com.
The spec sheet can be found -
[www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk]

Can anyone advise how to wire this stepper to a UCB v2.1?
Anonymous User
February 21, 2008 05:11AM
Assuming the wires with white in them are the ' wires in the pdf it goes like this:

connect blu/wht with red/wht, and nothing else
connect grn/wht with blk/wht. and nothing else
now you have 4 unconnected solid color wires left, connect them to pins:

1 - blue
2 - red
3 - green
4 - black

If the stepper turns the wrong way, reverse pin 1 and 2 only.

*edit* doesn't matter whether the wires with white are ' or not. If they are not, you wire the two phases in reverse, which changes exactly nothing with steppers.

--Blerik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 05:17AM by blerik.
February 21, 2008 03:14PM
Blerik,

I had no luck with wiring them as you suggested. can you double check and let me know?

Cheers

Joe
February 21, 2008 03:33PM
well, i would suggest wiring them in bipolar-serial. still, from the rating, it seems you'll need a power resistor to limit them a bit, as they would still be at 1.48 ohms/phase. you should probably send Ian an email or ping him to answer this thread.

looking at the datasheet, the colors are listed in the order they appear, so it seems that the color/white ones do not directly correlate to A/A'.

i would try this:

Connect these wires together:

Blue and Red/White
Green and Black/white

Then, these wires become A/B/C/D:
A. blue/white
B. red
C. green/white
D. black

You need to wire up the motors differently for Y,Z and X... see the stepper controller page for ABCD -> 1234 tables. link: [reprap.org]
Anonymous User
February 21, 2008 04:38PM
Good catch Zach! I always assume there is a logic to things, but not always the simplest...

The PIC stepper controllers use pwm, so I'm not sure you really need the power resistor. Just don't run them on maximum.

--Blerik
February 23, 2008 05:05PM
Had an email from Joe and sent this reply:

"The problem with our steppers is they are to low coil resistance 0.8 Ohms and the L298 ideally requires 3 Ohms or more the quick and dirty fix is a series resistor this will prevent damage of the motor and electronics but will generate heat and lose some power this will not be a problem on the X or Y axis but could be on Z as this uses quite a bit of power if you make sure it is very well aligned on Z with all parts running very smoothly it should be OK . You will need a 3 Ohm resistor in series with the motor coils i.e. 2 off one for each coil but it must be rated for 15W or more I have been told a car side light will give this sorts of figure but have not tried it

The motor connects in Bipolar series so connect the Blue and Red/White together and insulate the join, connect the Green and Black/White together and insulate the join, your two coils are then Blue/White

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
February 24, 2008 07:06PM
yay!

i was right in reading the datasheet =)

if you're using the arduino based stepper motor driver, you'll probably be fine. it uses current chopping so you can adjust the current that goes through it. adding some car lights in series would not be a bad idea though.
hi i have a set of 4 FL57STH76-2008BF-20 stepper motors and have been searching for days on some info for them can somebody help with the 8 wire wiring

thanks in advance
March 16, 2008 03:11PM
I have a Philips stepper motor that has total of eight wires
Two yellow, Two red ,Two black and two grey.
I have checked the coil resistance to be 50 ohms between yellow and black, Red and grey.
I have to drive the motor via PIC16f72 using ULN2003. But the motor turns once then gets stuck.
what could be the problem please help.
I have a Philips stepper motor that has total of eight wires
Two yellow, Two red ,Two black and two grey.
I have checked the coil resistance to be 50 ohms between yellow and black, Red and grey.
I have to drive the motor via PIC16f72 using ULN2003. But the motor turns once then gets stuck.
what could be the problem please help.
I have drive board RS217-3611 and stepper motor RS Stock NO 344-631 and PCI Card Pci 6025E ( NAtional Instrument). Can Someone help me to wiring.....? I am using LABVIEW 6....

Regards
July 20, 2012 08:41PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login