Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC machine conversion advice

Posted by someone 
CNC machine conversion advice
October 31, 2011 06:36PM
I have a functioning CNC machine that I plan on making into a hybrid CNC/repstrap by bolting an extruder to the front of it. The mechanical issues are dealt with, but I have run into a problem concerning the controller board. I have the CNC main board, which doesn't seem to have any way to connect to the gen 3 extruder controller board I purchased, but all ready works and I would like to keep it that way. I also purchased a gen 3 main board which should be able to connect to the drivers, but the end stops are supposed to attach to the drivers, not the board, so I don't know how to hook them up to it. I am not getting new drivers, but in case it matters, my current stepper drivers are 3.0A unipolar with 16th step micro-stepping. My question is: which main board should I use and how should I fix the compatibility issues?
VDX
Re: CNC machine conversion advice
November 01, 2011 04:24AM
... i'm using an Isel-CNC-mill and replaced the original controller/interface with an adapter-BOB, that routes all needed pins from the Arduino to the controller-backplane.

First i've got a Gen3 working, but now it's an ArduinoMega256 with RAMPS 1.2.

Because the embedded mechanical endstops of the mill caused some misbehave, i'm ignoring them and set the 0-position by resetting the host+firmware in the 0-position (middle of the heater-board with 0.1mm space in Z).

If really needed, i'll fix optical endstops to the axes and connect them to the RAMPS-board directly ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 29, 2012 09:39PM
I have a Colinbus/Elector 3D profilier that I used for making PCB's However it is not acurate enough for the very small parts so I have ordered a new Colinbus PCBBox machine for that job. So I was thinking to convert profilier to 3D printer. Profiler has an accuracy of 0.04 mm There are some outputs for controlling external hardware from the controler, The Gcode is probably standard put not sure. I need advice on whats the best extruder, hot table and any other hardware I may need. Any advice on how to convert would be apreciated. The usable table size is 300x400 with 100 mm Z.
CNC
April 10, 2012 08:05AM
These guys just bolt an extruder to a cnc router, nothing fancy, no hot table, they are also able to machine the plastic, they can extrude and cut with one operation print and cut
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login