Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PCB Milling - beginner's advice?

Posted by largecamel 
PCB Milling - beginner's advice?
April 23, 2012 09:45AM
Hey,

I'm interested in doing some PCB milling using my Reprap. I've read thru the PCB milling wiki - thanks Traumflug.

My question is, I've read that PCB milling with a Prusa and a Dremel flex shaft isn't really doable because of various mechanical limitations. I'd like to mill small and simple boards occasionally, but am I wasting my time?

Can someone point me to some other info on this? Also, what software can you recommend to convert images to gcode for plotting?
Re: PCB Milling - beginner's advice?
April 24, 2012 06:31AM

My question is, I've read that PCB milling with a Prusa and a Dremel flex shaft isn't really doable because of various mechanical limitations. I'd like to mill small and simple boards occasionally, but am I wasting my time?

All the flexshafts I've seen so far have substantial axial play, but if you have one which is fine in this regard, it should work. Smaller Dremel-like tools like the Micromot 50 are better and a toolhead like that from the Mantis might be currently the best affordable solution.

Also, what software can you recommend to convert images to gcode for plotting?

You either produce the G-code directly out of the PCB layout application (Eagle, gEDA) or from Gerbers. For the later, see [forums.reprap.org] For myself I'm currently using gEDA for the drills and Visolate for the isolation paths.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 02, 2012 10:43AM
*listens intently and jots down notes* ...

o my visolate looks really great ... [www.electronics-lab.com]
so this is the one that does the "reverse" of tracks and cuts up those little segments of copper patches ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 10:44AM by redreprap.
March 20, 2013 10:21PM
oh no ... visolate is no longer available?
March 21, 2013 07:12AM

oh no ... visolate is no longer available?

What makes you think so? The most recent Visolate is Visolate 3 and is hosted on Github: [github.com]

March 21, 2013 09:39AM
ah tnx ... i clicked on an old link.

n i dun think i am getting it to work anytime soon ... lol

i dun get it, its a MSDOS kind of a command line thingy? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 09:51AM by redreprap.
March 21, 2013 09:51AM
or its linux only?
March 21, 2013 10:08AM
have anyone tried to use kicad and --> HPGL --> hp2xx ??

hmmmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 10:25AM by redreprap.

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
March 22, 2013 06:02AM
Visolate is written in Java, it should work on any platform supporting Java (and OpenGL).

April 20, 2013 08:17PM
looking back at this post, it seems i have to "re-contribute" back

for those interested in raster image to gcode
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

or direct, if using kicad
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

direct, if using EAGLE
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

and misc notes on scaling if you do screen grab method
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

and the PCB mill making is works in progress grinning smiley, with some stuff arriving from China
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

the mill motor is on order, an al cheapo 48v DC 12k rpm single spindle (abt USD35), i have never tried these before. it is going to be interesting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 08:20PM by redreprap.

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login