Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HAAS VF-0 CNC Mill to high precision 3D printer.

Posted by tookys 
HAAS VF-0 CNC Mill to high precision 3D printer.
May 11, 2013 08:51PM
I am currently working for a CNC manufacturing company and have been tasked with researching into 3D printing for manufacturing.

We have in our possession a HAAS VF-0 CNC vertical milling center with a 4th and 5th axis.

Using slic3r and notepad, I would modify the code to run directly in the CNC programming, I only need a laptop to control the hot end temperature.

My plan would be to mount the hot plate upside down to the spindle on the vertical column. While mounting the hot end on the X&Y bed, using the 5th axis as a feed control for the extruder.

I have seen several new printer designs that have the prints running upside down, and I'm wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any studies saying what the benefit of it is.

this machine is also able to easily hold .003 mm as it is a industrial CNC machine to begin with.

I am currently working with a air wolf 3D printer (which I really think is a joke if your wanting anything more than a hobby machine.) But I would use this to produce any parts I may need for the mods.

Anyways if anybody would be able to help me in making this plan or knows of somebody who has already done it let me know.
Re: HAAS VF-0 CNC Mill to high precision 3D printer.
June 18, 2013 08:25AM
Old post, but just in case:

The inverted printer may have some advantage regarding extruder ooze, but that's about it.

The table on that machine is going to be very slow compared to the movements of almost any RepRap design. If you're working on the clock, spending a little to build a dedicated machine will save you money very quickly. A VF-0 is just way too big, strong, and slow for a printer working in plastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login