Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gen 6 electronics for a shapeoko

Posted by azz00 
gen 6 electronics for a shapeoko
August 16, 2013 02:03PM
Hi everyone.

I am thinking of building a shapeoko and using my gen 6 board from my old reprap to power it.

From what I can find out people are powering theirs with a 24v power supply but the gen 6 is currently running on 12v

However I have no idea if this will work? And would I be correct in thinking teacup would be the recommended firmware for CNC milling?
Re: gen 6 electronics for a shapeoko
August 17, 2013 08:22AM
I'm pretty sure the only advantage of 24V over 12V in RepRap applications is the lower current for the heated bed. For everything else, 12V is entirely sufficient. Also, because the stepper motors recommended in RepRap aren't 12V nominal voltage, but substantially lower, like 1.5 to 4V.

Teacup is a good choice for milling applications, not only because it fits on ATmega328- and ATmega168-based Arduinos. It also has look-ahead now, does (unlike GRBL) proper acceleration and the upcoming ACCELERATION_CLOCK algorithm is very fast.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
August 17, 2013 06:20PM
... with steppers 24V have some advantages compared to 12V in dynamics and acceleration - with higher voltage the coils are much faster activated, so the possible speeds and accelerations are much higher.

My old CNC-mill has steppers rated with 2 Volts and 1.5 Amps, but the drivers are 70 Volts / 6 Amps types! -- I have to set the max. current corresponding to the stepper specs (1.4 - 1.5 Amps), but the voltage can be much higher than specified ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 18, 2013 06:30AM
Thanks for those replies, I think I understand it now.

The power supply that came with the board is a universal supply that can go to 18v so I will set it to that to get the most from the motors.

Thanks again.
August 18, 2013 09:02AM

... with steppers 24V have some advantages compared to 12V in dynamics and acceleration

That's true, but I'm also pretty sure this additional dynamics is out the range typical printers use. There's simply no need to prepare for 2000 RPM if a belt driven bot never exceeds 500 RPM.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 27, 2013 02:27PM
If anyone can help I have 1 more query.

I am going to set up a dual drive on 1 axis, now with me not needing the output for the extruder, could I use that output for the extra drive?

If so, how do I configure it in the marlin firmware? I.e. what do I need to change to make the firmware recognise there are 2 motors working on the same axis?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login