Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone already doing an open source 5-axis cnc?

Posted by ibpsrs 
Anyone already doing an open source 5-axis cnc?
January 31, 2014 08:38PM
Hi guys,
I am looking for any open source 5-axis project, but I found nothing.
The closest thing I could find was Mike Calvino's project on [www.kickstarter.com] .

I already know the biggest problem is the "slicing" software, it is a completely different thing with the 2 "extra" axis.
I am a C++/Python/Java programmer and I did some C code for 3D sculpting in the past, so I think I can do It.
I just don't want to foolishly reinvent the wheel if someone is already doing it, so I could contribute instead.
Re: Anyone already doing an open source 5-axis cnc?
February 01, 2014 07:12AM
I think it would be an interesting project, although no way I could build something as big as the Calvino design. Mike's kickstarter was perhaps an exercise in how not to go Open Source, I would have contributed a few dollars for no reward, but wouldn't pay $700 for a design I have no intention to actually build. I think the way to Open Source such a large build is publish from day 1 and hope to pick up momentum, collaborators and possibly funding on the way.

Anyway, a desktop model I could build would be interesting. The difficult part is probably in the software, which I think would scale to any size. If you could demonstrate a working model, I think that might generate some interest.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Re: Anyone already doing an open source 5-axis cnc?
February 06, 2014 07:42PM
This desktop model is the only possibility for me (I live in an apartment...).
It must be enclosed too, maybe, inside an acrylic tank, like those for goldfish, but with some sort of cooling.

I also think I should start with a 3-axis hardware, skipping steps don't seem to be a good idea.
I think [diylilcnc.org] is a good starting point, but I need to modify it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login