Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

using a dental micromotor for cnc mill?

Posted by aterhune1984 
using a dental micromotor for cnc mill?
September 20, 2015 08:30PM
I am researching super accurate cnc mill tools so I can mill smd pcb projects and other very fine work with a cnc. The issue is the really accurate mills are quite expensive. I found a variety of micromotors on ebay that I would imaging are very accurate as they are intended for jewelry and dental work.

[www.ebay.com]

From what I can tell these don't have a lot of torque or power, just high speed and accurate. Does anyone know what kind of work i would be limited to on this kind of device? Things like: pcb, pcb drilling, woods, aluminum, etc.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!
VDX
Re: using a dental micromotor for cnc mill?
September 21, 2015 04:09AM
... the usability for milling depends mostly on the used bearings - most 'manual' mills aren't designed for high lateral forces, wha'ts normal with CNC-milling.

With precise ball-bearings this is a real option, but only for small millbit diameters (below 3mm), so this can give a good engraving machine, but not meant for aluminium or high volume carving in wood ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 29, 2016 05:00AM
I always purchase marathon dental micromotor at oyodenal.com, the quality and price is best!
February 01, 2016 04:08AM
I always purchase micromotor marathon at oyodental.com.br, the quality and price is best!
June 21, 2016 07:43AM
I think you will find that the runout on most spindles is within tolerance for what you would want to do. I would not use a dental drill.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login