Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hybrid 3D printer: FDM + Polyjet

Posted by paperfrom 
Hybrid 3D printer: FDM + Polyjet
January 20, 2016 02:12AM
Hi everyone,

I am starting a project that building a hybrid 3D printer which is combination of Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) and polyjet technology. I look for information in the internet but nothing is useful. Have anyone built it or had information about it?
I have an idea that building polyjet part as another nozzle in a dual nozzle 3D printer.

I would be very grateful for any suggestion, information or discussion. Thank you for your time.

P/S: I have a Prusa Mendel i3.
Re: Hybrid 3D printer: FDM + Polyjet
January 21, 2016 12:42AM
I have come up with an idea to build the hardware polyjet part like this (2 options):

1. Motor --> big syringe (without needle) --> teflon liner --> 3D printed connector (with thread at nozzle side) --> nozzle (same as FDM part) --> print --> A <-- light
I still have some difficulties to determine the mechanism that connects motor to syringe. I intend to use stepper motor nema 17 for option 1 because it easy to connect to the control board and software (coding, etc.), considering it as a extruder motor in dual nozzle system.

2. DC cylinder with piston --> teflon liner --> 3D printed connector (with thread at nozzle side) --> nozzle (same as FDM part) --> print --> A <-- light

A is the printed object.
The 3D printed connector also sets the polyjet nozzle in same height as FDM nozzle.

I would be very grateful for any suggestion, information or discussion. Thank you for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 12:52AM by paperfrom.
VDX
January 21, 2016 01:10AM
... here a sample of a motor driven syringe - [reprap.org]

Actually I'm developing with/around piezo-driven inkjet dispensers for high viscous pastes winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 22, 2016 01:57AM
Thank you VDX.

But i dont sure which one is better in control the flow: a stepper motor with syringe or a cylinder with piston. Do you have any experience with that?

And i still dont know how to treat the polyjet with light in order to get the smooth surface as in polyjet printer since the resin is extruded like filament not layer-whole jetted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 02:48AM by paperfrom.
VDX
January 22, 2016 02:49AM
... a stepper motor driven syringe is better for precise dispensing - pneumatic driven pistons behave like a spring, so will change the dispensed volume per 'steps' related to friction, ambient temperature and other changes in paste viscosity ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 28, 2016 07:50PM
Hi Viktor,
I till dont know how it work? How is the black object with thread (red) moved along the threaded rod? In my understanding, the black object with thread will be rotated with the threaded rod not moved along it as screw and bolt. Did you made the black object by yourself? I dont have any machine or tool that can made thread.
And the tube (green) it hollow with no thread?

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 08:57PM by paperfrom.
VDX
January 29, 2016 04:32AM
... the nut (dark grey part) has a M5 thread on one end and a groove on the outside and needs a 'rail' to catch and feed the nut, so it won't turn while rotating the thread rod. This was only a prototype for testing, so only meant for temporary assembly winking smiley

Here is an image of the completed dispenser:

... and here the thread, nut and rail in detail:

Viktor
--------

VDX
January 29, 2016 04:42AM
... and here some videos where I've tested a piezo-driven paste-jet-dispenser.

With tooth-paste:

[vimeo.com]

... and blue coloured hand-cream:

[vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login