Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Milling and laser engraving on one machine

Posted by o_lampe 
Re: Milling and laser engraving on one machine
September 17, 2017 11:57AM
The spindle is finally in. grinning smiley
I left it alone for 6 weeks with the wooden wedge pressing the gap open and today I could insert the spindle half way without any problems.
It was then that I realized, the center screw hole was tapped and meant to open the gap. eye rolling smiley DOH

Anyway, tomorrow I'll try to run some gcode under load. Maybe start drilling mounting holes in the base plate....
September 19, 2017 02:32AM
Always the little things that get us but at least you've solved it now.

Bet you can't wait to get her cutting now, is it a Shapeoko 3 you have?
September 19, 2017 06:17AM
It made the first cuts. Althought the X-gantry isn't completely fixed, it is surprisingly quiet. No resonance or ratttling.
Drilled some holes in the MDF baseplate and the Z-motor didn't skip steps. ( NEMA17 without pulley gearing )
Also tried to engrave a bit, but then the flex and backlash in the gantry shows.

PS: It is based on a shapeoko spin-off, called shapeoko_T (Trapez) from myhobby-CNC.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 06:21AM by o_lampe.
September 20, 2017 05:37AM
I sorted out some backlash problems and tried again. Now it looks much better and I dared to engrave a PCB.

I believe, I'm using a wrong tool diameter. That's why the outline isn't fully drawn.
The edges of the copper look horrible, although the tool is meant for PCB engraving. ( 350mm/min@21000rpm )
Any opinions?

I also noticed the mounting screws for the linear rails are to long. They have to be replaced and I might add some more T-nuts as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 08:18AM by o_lampe.
September 20, 2017 09:51AM
Bolt length was frustrating in my build lol as I had so many different lengths and different types from M4 through to M8's there's well over 160 bolts in my build and 7 different lengths.

I ended up ordering twice, first time the bolts as I worked them out in cad and then 2nd time 2 sets of bolts I got the lengths wrong lol.

Are you're linear rail bolts M4's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 09:53AM by Desertboy.
September 21, 2017 01:46AM

Are you're linear rail bolts M4's?

No, mgn12 rail allows only M3 bolts. I can't even use washers sad smiley
Now I'm using M3x8. The next shorter screw is M3x6. I hope they aren't too short angry smiley
VDX
September 21, 2017 04:45AM
... you can grind the M3x8 to any length winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 23, 2017 07:12AM
VDX

Grind it to 10mm for me then please!

Ha ha ha sorry couldn't resist, I had to cut bolts down I found the best way is to put a nut on the bolt then cut it and remove the nut and it cleans the thread up to be usable.
VDX
September 23, 2017 09:12AM
Desertboy
VDX

Grind it to 10mm for me then please!

Ha ha ha sorry couldn't resist, I had to cut bolts down I found the best way is to put a nut on the bolt then cut it and remove the nut and it cleans the thread up to be usable.

... that's not impossible either -- but a little more than costly with one of the hybrid "additive" approaches spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But yes, I was more focussed on shorting, than elongating ... otherwise use a longer screw winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 28, 2017 02:10AM
Finally replaced the screws of the linear rails and now they are tightttt. The last part wiggling is the z-axis. It's plastic V-rollers are adjusted by excentric nuts. I'll spend some time to tighten them, but then I'll be ready for some aluminum milling...

I tried to mill some grbl code created by Fusion 360, but RRF doesn't like the dialect. I had to rewrite it by hand, but then it worked nicely. Made some 8mm dia pockets with a 3.2mm endmill and they turned out the right size and round too grinning smiley
October 03, 2017 12:28PM
Good to hear, keep us updated on your first cuts winking smiley
October 04, 2017 01:46AM
It seems, the machine is pretty tough, but I have to work out a better clamping method for the part.
I thought, I could axially dive into the aluminum block with an endmill, but the endmill wasn't cut to do that. The part ripped off the table.
October 25, 2017 03:29AM
Real life is slowing the project down, but I finally decided how to add watercooling. I got a 12V inline pump and a 240x120mm radiator.
Now I have to find out how to run a 12V pump/fan combo from 24V PSU. I think, I'll use a dc-dc converter and control it by a Duet-fan output.

October 31, 2017 02:33PM
I'm using mini tower PC for my controller and running a molex extension through the back of the PC to my fans (And breakout board which needs both 5v and 12v.) but you can buy 24v PC style fans cheap I bought mine for under £5.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login