Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC Gantry Design - Help Needed!

Posted by .Jata 
CNC Gantry Design - Help Needed!
September 14, 2017 03:39PM
I'm putting together a gantry that I want to be able to use as a light duty CNC router for aluminium.

The frame will be welded 2"x1" steel tubing. (The "floating" X/Y Gantry will likely be aluminum.)

I have 4 IKO 24mm linear rails with two bearings each.

My big question right now is if the use of two rails on the X/Y is necessary versus just one. (The draft photo shows it with two.)
I've seen linear rail CNC kits that use smaller 18mm rails; so I'd like to use just one of my IKO rails for the X/Y for a total of 3 rails.

Please see the attached photos for reference.

Draft Gantry: [imgur.com]

IKO Rails: [imgur.com]

Thanks in advance for the help!

- .Jata

Edit: Just an FYI for anyone else working on a similar project; I found a stiffness calculator on the forum submitted by: davew_tx [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 03:43PM by .Jata.
Re: CNC Gantry Design - Help Needed!
September 16, 2017 09:15PM
No such thing as light duty CNC for milling aluminum!

see
[forums.reprap.org]

confused smiley
September 17, 2017 02:20AM
2 rails per axis, minimum. Steel is not flat so you will to need to epoxy resin to level where the rails go. Aluminium T slot extrusion is also not flat but it's flat enough for your style router (Or mine for that matter).

Read this
[www.mycncuk.com]

for gantry design ideas, what you drew wasn't a gantry lol but I assume you just wanted to illustrate the point.

If you only have 4 rails (I assume you were thinking you could use 1 on the gantry and one on the Z axis?) I would get another 2 rails (Stronger ones, Hiwin 15mm or eqiv would be good) and use them for the Y axis (Bottom one) and use you 4 on the gantry (X) and Z axis.

Not sure if I'd the rail correctly I think this is the shallow IKO rail not the chunkier rail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 05:31AM by Desertboy.
September 19, 2017 05:42AM
cozmicray is right to the extent that a lightly built CNC mill can't do any heavy milling on aluminium but as long as the milling is restricted to very light cut it can do very well. This is a 3D printer being used to cut a 1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep pattern in an aluminium plate - [www.youtube.com]
Onre thing to make sure of is that swarf is picked up cleanly by something like the vacuum in the above video.

Mike
October 03, 2017 05:46PM
What spindle you using, nice vid of that suction plate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login