Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0 cnc setup

Posted by kd6hq 
Marlin 2.0 cnc setup
October 01, 2019 10:14AM
Is there anyone here that knows how to setup Marlin 2.0 to work with CNC and is willing to help me do it?
My goal is to upgrade my printer, laser and cnc to all use the same series controller boards. I am planning on using the Bigtreetesch SKR Pro V 1.1 for the printer and the SKR V1.3 for the other machines.
The printer is a corexy type and uses a Rumba controller. The laser uses a Ramps 1.4 controller. The cnc is a desk top type called a 3018 Pro (on order) and uses a GRBL controller.
So I would like to settle on one version of firmware / controllers if possible.
Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 11:43AM by kd6hq.
Re: Marlin 2.0 cnc setup
October 01, 2019 01:50PM
I am setting up a MPCNC this is suppose to be able to do all, I have not finished making it yet.

But you can look at there information here.

They have MP3DP, MPCNC and LowRider plans and firmware.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
October 01, 2019 02:31PM
I think you will like the MPCNC but that's not what I'm asking about. Right now I have 4 different machines. 2 Lasers which use Ramps 1.4, printer which uses Rumba and a CNC which uses a GRBL controller. I use 3 different versions of firmware. I would like to condense all this to 1 firmware and 1 controller type.
October 02, 2019 08:46AM
The V1 Engineering projects are using many different controllers and Marlin 2.0.x
Marlin 2.0.x will also work with several 32 bit controllers giving you a lot of options.

[github.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2019 08:48AM by Roberts_Clif.

October 03, 2019 01:10PM
I think that the question then becomes:

Why go with one controller and firmware?

Okay, reducing the kinds of parts I can understand, but why the firmware? You'll need to maintain different compiles of Marlin anyway for different machines. I needed different compiles of Marlin for 2 printers that were nearly identical, If I had uploaded the wrong build of Marlin to the printer, it would have caused problems.

RRF on the Duet is a little better, since local config files are easier to swap out. but not enough so to be worth swapping out the controller on my Marlin based printer.

There should be no reason why Marlin can't replace the GRBL, but you are probably going to end up with weirdness, since most of the software to send stuff to the CNC is going to expect GRBL on the receiving end. I don't see that this is really going to make your life that much easier.

So, since I assume that the goal is to make life easier, I'd keep GRBL where it's the best choice, and use what's the best choice for the hardware that you have.

So let's say that a year goes by, and you want a Railcore, or something else that comes out between now and then. Or a new controller comes out with benefits that make it worthwhile to switch. Do you then just abandon the controller for ALL of your machines? Or do you just upgrade the ones that the new controller/firmware has the largest benefits for? Then you're back with different ones. Worse (to me) is that you are not going to WANT to upgrade when a clear upgrade is available.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
October 03, 2019 05:59PM
There is some truth in what you say and I may just end up using GRBL. Right now I have 2 lasers and one 3d printer all on Marlin so I figured why not add the cnc also.
It's as simple as that.
October 03, 2019 07:50PM
And I agree Marlin 2 should be able to handle all your needs.

At least it is working for all my combination of CNC / 3D Printers.

October 03, 2019 08:22PM
Would you mind sharing your configuration.h , configuration.adv and pin's files?
October 04, 2019 09:24AM
Do you one better

Hictop 3DP11/3DP12
[drive.google.com]

Here is my Google Drive of some of my modifications
The Controller Cover I designed in Fusion 360, the modified extruder duct, filament guide, power supply cover, Cable Chain, My Marlin Firmware for stock Hictop and
STL files found, modified or created to all work Plus the Hictop original Hex firmware files I keep as backup just in case Hictop stops listing them on their Web site.

If you want my Modified Marlin for use with my optional TL-W3MC2 Proximity sensor and Filament Run-out Sensor It is in the Marlin Firmware only commented out.
Complete Marlin Firmware Uploaded to Google Drive

Marlin 1.1.5
Marlin 1.1.7
Marlin 1.1.9BF
Marlin 2.0

Download the version you like it should work as many have download compiled and uploaded them without any complaints. Though I would download all as archival data.

I should note the there are two Proximity Sensors spring loaded slide mounts one is for SN04-N the other is for my new TL-W3MC2 Proximity sensor.
These both require a spring and a long 50mm screw with a thumb nut. Any Questions PM or Post me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 09:35AM by Roberts_Clif.

October 04, 2019 11:31AM
Wow, thank you very much. This should be an interesting weekend.
That's a lot of work you've done. I was looking for something that had been modified for the Bigtreetech SKR V1.3 board using Marlin 2.0 and TMC2130 steppers.
The Ramps 1.4 board is a good board and I have used it for quite a while, I'm just wanting to move on to 32 bit CNC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 12:17PM by kd6hq.
October 04, 2019 02:55PM
kd6hq
The Ramps 1.4 board is a good board and I have used it for quite a while, I'm just wanting to move on to 32 bit CNC.

IMO, Ramps 1.4 is pretty much the worst board you can buy. Its only merits are that it is cheap, open source, and hackable.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 04, 2019 04:40PM
Well there is this site that could help you

[github.com]

October 04, 2019 11:30PM
Thank you for that link. Also I found this link after following one of your others.
[marlinfw.org]
This one starts talking about specific things that need to be defined.
There are probably others so I'm still on the search.
thanks again
October 05, 2019 07:53AM
One day soon I will be starting to upgrade my MPCNC and this too will help make it easier, then I will have a head start on some of the configurations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 07:54AM by Roberts_Clif.

October 07, 2019 07:08PM
Clif

I think this would work. For drivers I'm using TMC2130'. I am not sure if I can mix SPI and Uart modes on the same board. I'll have to find that out.
Looking at the pin layout diagram for the Bigtreetech SKR V1.3 board, the E0 uart pins are P2_12 EN, P2_111 DIR.
The PWM pin can be the fan0 pin P2_03 PWM.
I'm not sure if it will work or not just thought you might have some thoughts on it.
September 26, 2020 11:06AM
Hi all,

Want to use Marlin 2.0 for cnc like application- mega/ramps
If define spindle/laser_feature- are the temperature settings, requirements etc then disabled?
Still all the endstops, extra endstops, fan etc

If not, how to get there

Thx

C
September 26, 2020 08:57PM
V1 Engineering Inc there is a link to Marlin 2 CNC firmware.

I use the MPCNC Ramps

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2020 09:00PM by Roberts_Clif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login