Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d print and cnc mill hybrid object design

Posted by ag123 
3d print and cnc mill hybrid object design
December 01, 2019 08:16PM
hi all,
in my various web searches, searches on youtube etc, i stumbled into many different ideas and actual hybrid 3d print and cnc hybrid makes.
but one of those things i'm curious about is has anyone literally used both 3d fdm printing and cnc milling to product an object or part?
they can even be on 2 different machines i.e. a 3d printer and separately a cnc (end) milling machine.
i got curious about this is that this is very much feasible but i hardly see any real projects or objects attempted.
i'm not too sure if this could be due to alignment or otherwise.
but the idea is that part of the object could be 3d fdm printed and other parts grbl cnc machined.
the main point is that for some parts 3d printing them probably takes a lot of time (hours), it would probably make sense e.g. if a piece is after all a panel with pockets or windows, that can be milled say on an acrylic part. while more complex non-flat parts can be 3d printed and the final design assembled say either with glue or screws.
has anyone come across successful examples of such applications or other hybrid designs?
VDX
Re: 3d print and cnc mill hybrid object design
December 02, 2019 03:39AM
... this "hybrid" 3D-printing+milling thingy is used in industry for high precision parts made with DLM (Direct-Laser-Melting) or SLS/SLM-methodes ... but pretty costly too.

In the DIY range with a CNC-mill at hand, it's mostly easier to design a part for milling only (and mill it), than the hybrid approach ... or insert 3D-printed parts into milled ones ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 02, 2019 12:54PM
For combining 3d printing directly on CNC I would not suggest it, CNC milling is dirty, you would need to clean the part, possibly heat it up... and I do not believe that would stick well... printing and milling separately would yield better result.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 01:27PM by Nylkos.
VDX
December 02, 2019 02:31PM
... in the "early days" of RepRap we were discussing different "hybrid" strategies to get more precise part than possible with 3D-printing - here a seven years old thread (but there were some discussions years before too):

[reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login