Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mac-Based RepRap CNC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by shippo0708 
Mac-Based RepRap CNC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 11, 2011 09:09PM
Ok so I am in the process of gathering electronics and money to attempt this...

I've found plans and stuff all over the place to build a CNC mill but i also intend on expanding it a bit so i can also optionally attach an extruder to it and use it as both a mill and a reprap with minor alterations between the each "mode"

My main setback right now is finding available software and also debating on how i should do the electronics, well specifically the control board. The idea for the cnc controller is simply a bare arduino board going thru a usb-serial adapter being fed g-code from a mac client app. My current thinking is making two control boards,1 for milling, and 1 for reprap and swapping out between the two.

Here is the guide I'm using to scheme my cnc together with in my head.

Since I'm using a Mac i know my options are a tad limited, i have on hand an actual USB to Serial Adapter and Parallels to run WinXP of Ubuntu if i absolutely have to. As far as software for making PCBs and stuff i have Eagle, tho i haven't learned how to completely use it yet sad smiley
Re: Mac-Based RepRap CNC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 11, 2011 09:38PM
Also to add, i currently have 4 Sanyo stepper motors (NEMA 17 Style, 6 wire) and 4 Sparkfun Easy Driver boards that i intend to use on this project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 09:39PM by shippo0708.
September 16, 2011 07:49PM
How do you intend to move the 3 axes? The biggest problem I can see is that for an extruder you want lightweight, fast belt-driven axes, and you'd probably want something heftier for a cutting bit. My reprap uses bike chain, which might be a good compromise?

[picasaweb.google.com]

It's got a lot more heft to it than I assume belt driven repraps do, but without sacrificing print quality too much:

[picasaweb.google.com]
September 16, 2011 08:48PM
Well I've leaned toward using the designs from mydiycnc in order to build a decent sturdy frame with some increased lengths on the z axis to make room for heated platforms and such....

I was gonna try 1/4in 20 threaded rod for my first drivetrain and see how that works out that can be substituted later for a belt type train if I need more agility
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login