Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutting gold leaf - how close is possible?

Posted by evalon 
Cutting gold leaf - how close is possible?
April 07, 2012 03:14AM
Hello :-)

I may soon be interested in cutting very fine tracks in gold leafs. The gold leaf itself is about .4 umeter thick (0.4*e-6meter) and I would like to cut very narrow tracks in a the gold leaf, e.g. 0.1 to 0.3 mm thick.

Is this possible using a laser cutter - or maybe if you have another suggestion I'd appreciate your suggetion ...

I've attached an image showing what I hope to make.

Thanks for reading and maybe replying smiling smiley

Jesper
Re: Cutting gold leaf - how close is possible?
April 07, 2012 07:47PM
I cannot answer your question, but you might want to re-post it in a more active laser cutter oriented forum, I recommend [buildlog.net]
April 08, 2012 04:05AM
Mkouri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cannot answer your question, but you might want
> to re-post it in a more active laser cutter
> oriented forum, I recommend [buildlog.net]

Hi Mkouri - thanks for the tip. I'll post it there too.

Greetings,

Jesper
VDX
April 09, 2012 03:50PM
Hi Jesper,

you'll need a laser with high power and shorter wavelength - either a NdYAG (1064nm) with some ten Watts and Q-switch or better wavelengths in the UV-range ... but this will be expensive.

Another possibility is microblasting - cover the gold with a photo-film and proceed as with PCB-etching ... but instead of etching the gold, you'll blast the not covered areas with fine sand until the gold is removed.

Then you can remove the remaining film (or let it there as protection cover) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login