Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sludgomatic Wet Scrubber - Laser exhaust air cleaner

Posted by Robonz 
Sludgomatic Wet Scrubber - Laser exhaust air cleaner
May 05, 2014 04:35AM
I just got a 50W Universal Laser set up in my garage and before I start cutting up some stinky stuff like ABS or Polycarbonate I want to build a wet scrubber. I am sure if I don't, my neighbours will make life hell; also, it seems like the right thing to do. So my goal is to build a DIY but near industrial quality wet air scrubber. I don’t want to use activated carbon for long reasons I won't explain.

After looking around I couldn’t see anything residential sized that tickled my fancy so I threw this cad together. I was hoping I could get some help and feedback on my concept.

• The big blue barrel is 600mm diameter by 1000mm tall. This is a plastic food barrel which won't corrode and is cheap to buy used.
  • The dark blue stuff at the bottom is water with something to kill legionella.
  • The silver pipe is my 200mm ducting I already have connected to my 1.1KW extraction.
  • The yellow box is the "filtered" water that feeds up the black lines (tubes)
  • The tubes are vacuumed by a venturi inside the horizontal silver pipe

How it supposed to work. The air coming through the venturi (not drawn yet) sucks the water into the air stream. The air spirals around the barrel throwing the wet dirty crap to the sides, so it can run down into the bottom of the barrel. Then the cleaned air goes into the middle pipe and is hopefully pretty dry by the time it gets to the exit holes in the chimney. I could add a condensator grille inside the chimney too I guess.

So will this work? Have I missed something crucial? Can it work better? Can I 3D print a venturi? Will the venturi pull enough vacuum to pull the water up to the top? Does anyone like doing venturi calculations lol!

Any help or feedback would be great. Any laser cut parts are a huge bonus too of course because I can just cut them here.

Cheers
Keith in New Zealand. Anyone need any laser cutting done in Auckland - North Shore?

I plan to add a drainage tap and some clear inspection points so you can see it running and scrape the sludge out of the bottom easily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login