Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Let me introduce my laser cutter smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by MyMaker 
Let me introduce my laser cutter smiling bouncing smiley
December 09, 2011 04:53AM
Hello everyone,
I am new here and I would like to introduce the laser cutter I am building. It is already working but I have to complete the housing.

It is a 80W CO2 laser bought on ebay. The cutting area is about 80cm x 60cm.

IMG_20111026_153311 IMG_20111027_182049

IMG_20111113_104246 IMG_20111113_104301

IMG_20111113_104525 IMG_20111207_174629

IMG_20111207_174736

The first real thing I do, from thingiverse
IMG_20111124_172909

The wood is a bit brown near the edges because of lack of air assist. At the firsts tests, I used a fishtank air pump but the flow rate was not sufficient to reduce the amount of smoke which colored the edges with a sticky and stincking thing...
So I tried to plug the workshop's air compressor to the head, the result was wonderfull. Sorry I have no image of that but I will post it soon. winking smiley

Next step after completion of the laser cutter is to cut the Ultimaker frame and start a new 3D-printer adventure !
Another plan is to build a direct metal deposition 3D-printer from a combination of a GMAW and the ultimaker cinematic.

Voilà !
Re: Let me introduce my laser cutter smiling bouncing smiley
January 06, 2012 02:17AM
Mooi hoor.

Ik heb gisteren toevalig ook een co2 laser besteld op Ebay, een 40 Watt.
ga ook een laser cutter bouwen, lijkt me super handig en mooi afgewerkte resultaten te krijgen.
Bedankt voor de foto's, heel inspirend.

Gr Nonaak

First Gen Mendel made by Adrian Bowyer
Controller: RAMPS 1.4
Extruder: Greg's Wade Universal Accessible Extruder
Firmware :Marlin
----------------
MendelMax extra groot
RAMPS 1.4 grafisch display (diy)
Marlin
E3D v6
220V hotbed (diy)

Lang niks in 3Dprinting gedaan, begin nu weer hobby op te pakken.
Weer begonnen met:

Prusa Graber i3 "wood"
RAMPS 1.4 (mks tft28 v1.2 smart touch)
Marlin
E3D extruder v6 lite
December 29, 2012 04:34PM
MyMaker,

What are you using to control the axis? (on the electronic side). I am modifying a 40W CO2 laser I got that had terrible axis control and a garbage interface. I got the new axis working nicely, but haven't decided on processor/code yet.

Any suggestions?
That really looks amazing ! I guess it took quite alot of hours building that. Where did you buy the laser tube ?

Jeroen
Creative Use of Technology
February 20, 2014 09:36PM
It looks like it's just T-Slot Aluminum, some steppers, and a laser tube. Do you have documentation? How much did this cost you?
March 12, 2014 05:58PM
@LucasGelf

This looks a bit like one of theese:
[www.lasersaur.com]

Maybe you can fine some dokumentation over there.
April 06, 2014 04:54AM
Looks good, 80w CO2 is the popular spec . Wondering why there are some beer bottles on the working table. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
VDX
April 06, 2014 05:07PM
lasercutscreens
...Wondering why there are some beer bottles on the working table. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

... in some CNC-forums this type of beer-bottles is a 'normed' measuring sample for comparing sizes spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 13, 2014 02:22AM
If you use compressed air on your laser cutter as I do, it is recomended that the air be dryed first as compressed air can contain a lot of moisture. I run a propper air dryer, but I have seen some DIY dryers thats use radiators from old refrigeration equipment that work pretty good. Saves your mirrors getting condensation on them and cracking etc.

Cheers
Keith
October 08, 2014 07:11PM
What electronics and software tool-chain did you use?
January 20, 2015 02:45PM
Would you please elaborate a little on the controller, firmware and software you used.
I am trying to upgrade a K 40 CO2 laser, and could use a little help.
January 20, 2015 04:14PM
Beautiful cutter, but please bear in mind this post is from 2012 so the original poster probably doesn't look here anymore.

One thing about lasercutting MDF: just don't do it. It's the worst stuff I've ever seen. Even worse than acrylics. I don't know what crap they put in the wood, but it just gunks up everything in it's path. At my academy they don't even allow cutting of MDF anymore, also in the wood workshop they prefer other kinds of wood as the MDF dust apparently is very bad on your lungs/health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 04:15PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 27, 2015 01:27PM
Well, in its simplest form, it's just a lot of glue and wood mixed together. And glue-dust really is bad for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login