Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metal laser cutting

Posted by TashaD 
Metal laser cutting
August 18, 2015 06:19AM
Hallo. I am new to this forum. I have two 80 watt Chinese laser cutters. Now I want to expand and buy a metal cutting machine, and a laser cutter seems like the best for what I want. I am looking for a machine that can cut up to 2mm stainless steel for jewellery making.

What I want to find out from the forum is what the end result is. As it is for jewellery, I can't have sharp edges that can cut people.
If you can give any additional info that might be helpful for me to know about metal cutting would be appreciated.

Looking forward to your responses
VDX
Re: Metal laser cutting
August 18, 2015 07:26AM
... a CO2-laser with around 800Watts of power will give good edges, a fiberlaser with 500Watts cuts better, but the edges are a little bit sharper than with the CO2 laser.

But anyhow, you will have to smooth them by filing or barrel finishing to make them 'user-friendly' ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 19, 2015 06:51AM
Thanks for the reply.

What is barrel finishing?

Is there a better way of cutting metal for a smooth edge?
VDX
August 19, 2015 10:15AM
... I've got "barrel finishing" for the German "Trowalisieren" or "Gleitschleifen" - it's the process of scrambling the metal parts together with some hard/abrasive particles in a rotating barrel winking smiley

Either methode of cutting metal will result in 'sharp' 90deg edges - only milling with a smoothing millbit from top AND bottom will give you smooth edges ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

August 20, 2015 05:20AM
I think you can take a look at the this Laser cutting machine this is a laser B2B platform,I think you can find the best suitable for you.hope help
August 23, 2015 02:03PM
lasercn is obviously advertising for that platform.
The word you were looking for is probably tumbling: you add abrasive media together with your workpieces in a big barrel and either let it tumble or shake it violently for a long time. The media will sand off/dull your sharp edges.
You might also look at waterjet cutting. With abrasive you can cut through that thickness easily, but the exit side will be sharp too.
August 24, 2015 10:24PM
Sorry for to do that,but that is a laser platform,someone can take a look it
VDX
August 25, 2015 05:18PM
... yes, but excessive advertising all over the forums will mostly be flagged as spam and the mods/admins have then to decide, if only delete/edit the related posts or the complete account eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

August 26, 2015 02:56AM
Thanks for all the replies. This really helped smiling smiley
August 26, 2015 10:19PM
I am really sorry,I will not to do that next time !
October 08, 2015 10:05AM
I have a laser that cuts metal it is a Vytek 450 watt. It is not good on the fine detail items though. Have you looked at the Kern Machines they seem to have a better handle on fine cutting of metals.

Barb Knoble
Madtown Laser
VDX
October 08, 2015 01:23PM
... Kern CNC machines are high quality systems, so no wonder they have much better positioning capabilities (in speed and accuracy) than common CNC's.

The quality in laser-cutting is only partially based on the frame - much more important is the software and processing of the laser!

I've developed software and laser applications for customers using Kern machines and manufacturers of other CNC-systems - with a good process handling a 15k€ machine (or my <5k€ prototypes) can cut and engrave as fine/precise as a 500k€ Kern ... and sometimes even finer with the proper mods/hacks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login