Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutting latex

Posted by dionysosdale 
Cutting latex
November 28, 2017 09:58AM
Hi

I want to buy an laser engraver/cutter mainly to cut pattern to thin latex sheet. The thickness is 0,4mm. Would a diode laser engraver be suficient to cut this in one pass? If so, how powerful laser would you recommend? I was thinking about something like this (or perhaps a bit stronger if needed): [www.banggood.com]
VDX
Re: Cutting latex
November 28, 2017 03:04PM
... is the latex coloured or transparent?

If transparent, then better a CO2-laser-cutter ... the blue light may shine through without heating the material.

When the energy absorption would be sufficient to cut, then either a 2Watt-diode or a 3,5Watt - the 2Watt-diode has a slightly finer spot, so not much "weaker" ... for a 6W-diode you'll need an extra beam-shaping addon, what's mostly two prisms and additional focussing lens ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 29, 2017 02:51AM
VDX
... is the latex coloured or transparent?

If transparent, then better a CO2-laser-cutter ... the blue light may shine through without heating the material.

When the energy absorption would be sufficient to cut, then either a 2Watt-diode or a 3,5Watt - the 2Watt-diode has a slightly finer spot, so not much "weaker" ... for a 6W-diode you'll need an extra beam-shaping addon, what's mostly two prisms and additional focussing lens ...

Thank you for the repply. The latex is coloured. Do you think this engraver from Banggod would work? [www.banggood.com]
VDX
November 29, 2017 03:05AM
... don't know -- could work, depends mainly on the driver quality and controlling mode, what's not reliable in this cheapish kits ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

November 30, 2017 01:29PM
Laser cuts with heat.
How much will the latex shrivel with heat
along cut line

latex can melt anywhere from 250 F to 350F

latex sheeting does vent toxic fumes on vaporization, and leaves some messy residue behind after cutting.

You may want to ask some to shoot laser at latex
see if it cuts, melts, shinks up

I would suppose high power laser to cut quickly (expensive)

confused smiley
December 01, 2017 02:58AM
I have been cutting latex several times using a 40W CO2 laser. I only want to know if I can buy a cheap diode laser engraver to do the same job. The price on a diode laser is significantly lower than a full Co2 laser.
VDX
December 01, 2017 06:46AM
... in my experience with CO2-lasers and the blue multimode-diodes 1Watt of blue is roughly comparable in cutting power to 3-5 Watts of CO2 -- but only, if the material absorbs the blue light good enough ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login