Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser_Paper_Resin 3D printer?

Posted by o_lampe 
Laser_Paper_Resin 3D printer?
September 16, 2018 06:31AM
I know there were 3d parts made of stacked paper before, probably cut by laser plotters?
Did they use resin in a vacuum chamber to fix it?

I'm just asking, because I could get rolls of recycled paper for a few bucks. Each roll has ~100m of paper on it and the width is around 1 meter.
VDX
Re: Laser_Paper_Resin 3D printer?
September 16, 2018 09:12AM
... search for "LOM 3D printing" (LOM = Laminated Object Modelling) - this was a common fabbing methode for 3D objects until 1994, when the SLA printers got more interest and all the LOM-companies went down.

This was mostly done with adhesive paper rolls and CO2-lasers -- the fabbed parts optically resembled "wood" for the layer structure with the brownish cut paper borders ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
VDX
September 16, 2018 09:16AM
... look here for a pretty old post, where I've shown a small part laminated from laser-cut steel sheets - [reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 16, 2018 02:03PM
Awesome!
those small features would be difficult with FDM printers.
Cutting paper with a diode laser would be easy enough, but how about a fibre laser? What's the biggest useful area for them? They'd be much faster I guess.
How much would it cost?
VDX
September 16, 2018 04:21PM
... fiber lasers are in the NIR-range at 1064nm, what's good for metal, but wouldn't be absorbed enough with paper, wood or translucent plastics - here CO2-lasers are of much better use.

If the material is dark enough, then fiberlaser or the NIR-diodes (which normally are used for pumping the fiber lasers) would work too.

"Working areas" for high-speed scanning galvo-heads have typical sizes of 100x100 to 200x200mm ... some have even up to 400x400mm, but with bigger areas the focus distances are bigger too, and so the spot sizes.

While galvo-heads scan with speeds of up to 10m/s, XY-driven mechanics (as used in laser-cutters) are more in the range of some 30mm/s with spindle-drives, to up to 500mm/s with belt-driven machines ... but here the working areas can be as big as some meters!

If enough money, then systems with galvo-scanners on XY-machines are an option too -- part the working area in "tiles" with size of the galvoscanner-area ... and then - fast scan with the galvo, move the galvo to another tile, fast scan ... and so on ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 04:23PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

September 17, 2018 01:02AM
Cutting paper would require enclosure and nitrogen athmosphere, right?
VDX
September 17, 2018 02:58AM
... not necessarily - in my (open air) systems I suck the smoke just above the focus, others blow compressed air into the spot.

A housing is more intended as a laser protection measure ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login