Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need to cut down shoes hanging from power lines

Posted by nathanpdx 
need to cut down shoes hanging from power lines
March 12, 2013 10:07AM
What is the cheapest handheld laser for this and how many Watts would I need? Shoes are hanging from power lines all over my neighborhood and it's a major eye sore. I just need to nick shoe laces from about 25 feet with a steady hand. I can't use projectiles because there are too many cars and houses nearby. I also don't have room to store long fruit picker poles because I live in a dense urban environment. It seems like eBay has low priced lasers from China but I don't know what to get or how many Watts I would need.
VDX
Re: need to cut down shoes hanging from power lines
March 12, 2013 10:42AM
... don't use lasers with such powers in free sight!

Better find or build a crossbow and use fork-arrows with cutters inside -- the tip can be 'safe', as you only need the cutter ... you can guide the arrows with a wire, a bit longer than the target distance.

Another good methode is a quad-copter with cam and cutting hook ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 12, 2013 04:10PM
flamethrower? Might sound ridiculous, but if you could ignite a thin stream of flammable liquid you might be able to just melt/set fire to the laces so the shoes fall.
VDX
March 12, 2013 07:33PM
... fire is conducting plasma! -- could cause shorts, when around open power lines eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

March 13, 2013 08:54AM
I am sure the local constabulary will be interested in your plans to use a cutting laser in the street.

I am liking the quadcopter idea though!

Here's a YouTube video to inspire you. Don't worry about the cost as it doubles up as a home defence unit.

Inspirational Video

Helium Frog Website
VDX
March 13, 2013 10:12AM
... hmmm ... thinking about using my 400kW UV-pulselaser in 'remote' operations with a quad-copter or a ball-drone ( [www.spiegel.de] )

The laser isn't lightweight enoug (or the copters not powerfull enough) for beeing transported -- but with a galvo-scanner fixed to the laser and a focussing mirror-head mounted on the drone this wouldn't be a problem spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------

March 13, 2013 10:22AM
I also understand that hanging shoes over power lines is used by gangs / drugs gangs to mark territory.

Perhaps home defence may also come in useful when you start taking down their markers.

Helium Frog Website
June 15, 2013 03:11AM
Lol! Buy a cheap RC helicopter and attach razor blades to the roter tips and cut em down, just make sure you have plenty of flight time first, you dont want to do practice flights that way!
June 20, 2013 04:19PM
A RC heli with razor blades attached to the rotors sounds perfectly safe to me. >grinning smiley< What could possibly go wrong?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login