Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking For Guidance

Posted by WhoolieShop 
Looking For Guidance
October 22, 2013 01:28PM
Greetings! I am looking to possibly build a laser cutter/etcher and would like your guidance;

Wants:
1) Etch paint off of pcbs for prototyping.
2) Cut holes/slots in 1/16" (1.58mm) thick out of Flame Retardant ABS Plastic enclosures.
3) Etch grooves in clear lexan for LED lit signs.

I have a few things on hand that i'd like to make use of if possible.
1) Blu-Ray Laser Diode (no housing or lens)
2) A couple old printers & 2 flat bed scanners
3) Understanding of circuit board design & micro-controller programming.

My questions are:
1) is the blu-ray laser diode sufficient for what im wanting to etch/cut? If so should I just get one of the ebay aixiz housings?
2) can i incorporate the reprap drivers/software with any microcontroller or do I have to use an arduino? I suppose if the source is available for the Arduino i can just re-write it for my particular MC preference.
3) Regarding a Constant Current Supply, I can probably design this for pre-set power ratings easily enough are there any guidelines as to what power for what material or is this just trial and error based upon your laser / material?

Thanks for your time!
VDX
Re: Looking For Guidance
October 22, 2013 05:30PM
... I have two BluRay-diodes with 200 and 300 mW, what's only good for removing paint or curing photo-resins, not real usefull for cutting.

For clear platics you'll need a CO2-laser ... search in ebay - I've seen complete lasercutters with (awfull) software and a 40Watt-CO2-laser for around 800 Euros or 'naked' 40W-tubes with PS for 200 Euros ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login