Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diode laser cutter focusing

Posted by vinch 
Diode laser cutter focusing
November 16, 2013 03:30AM
Hello,

I'm currently working on a laser cutting extension for my Prusa i3 to cut thin material (paper or balsa sheets). For that purpose I ordered a 445nm M140 laser diode (2w) with a G2 lens. (link). I already created a constant current driver which delivers about ~1.65A with an electronic on/off control; my questions are about focusing the laser diode beam.

1) What is the distance to set up between the surface and the laser module ?
2) I suppose there is a manual adjustment to be done on lens by (un)screwing the "lens ring"; how to adjust that ring to optimize the beam precision knowing that I wear laser goggles preventing to see it?
- 2.a) Do I need to create a smaller laser driver with very low output current to be able to safely calibrate the beam without going blind?
- 2.b) What is the safe current level (10mA as for normal LEDs ?)
3) How to deal with the relationship between 1) and 2). Distance vs Focusing.

Thanks in advance.

[vvinch.blogspot.com] - [vvinch-diy.blogspot.com]
VDX
Re: Diode laser cutter focusing
November 16, 2013 05:28PM
... the minimum current needed to start the laserbeam is called 'threshold current' and is stated in the datasheet of the diode ... should be something around 100mA with the 1W(2W)-diodes ... below the threshold current the laserdiode emits blue light like a conventional LED, so the position of the spot is visible, but not with the correct focus diameter.

For setting/measuring the focus distance/diameter I'm adjusting the lens with activated laser at lowest possible power (see 'threshold') and blow fume into the beam or beam into water with a small amount of milk mixed in.

The focal distance adustment is best made with black paint on a white tile and engraving lines with different distances ... the thinnest lines (around 0.03mm) are burned with the exact distance. Then make a measure with this distance to adjust the Z-height with objects of different heights ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 17, 2013 03:28AM
November 19, 2013 05:08PM
I notice that you have the one with the current-limiting driver built in, so you could limit your current going in to get a minimal beam. I got a similar 3W diode laser [www.ebay.com] and still putting together my heat sink and driver circuit.

I got cheap red laser safety goggles for doing low-power focusing. It was pretty easy to focus a low-power beam well enough to get about a 0.2mm burning beam. For testing I've just been using a current-limited bench power supply. My threshold current is around 80mA.

Thanks @vdx for the suggestion about black paint on a white tile for getting a more precise focus!
November 20, 2013 05:03AM
Sorry, my link is wrong. I didn't noticed it was the version with a driver included. In fact I have the same item, but without the driver.
I'm currently building a smaller driver without electronic on/off control for delivering a test current of about 250mA (seller said me the threshold is 200mA to get a laser beam).

[vvinch.blogspot.com] - [vvinch-diy.blogspot.com]
December 02, 2013 03:21PM
I am using 1.7W 445 laser diode rig from Jtech
diode is driven at 2 amp
There is a gold ring below diode that I twist to adjust lens
and focus laser.
Laser light only hurts close to focus point. (still have all my fingers -- unburned)
I use a set of red glasses (made for Blue laser) I can still see quite well

winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login