Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which laser for leather engraving? Share your exps

Posted by Gordie 
Which laser for leather engraving? Share your exps
December 05, 2013 11:04AM
Hello, I'm here as a noob user on laser engraving, just for quick answers.
I'm building my own RepRap 3d printer based on MendelMax design; I would like to use it as a milling machine just for engraving some light wood and PCB, but I thought about adding the capability to mount a simple laser to engrave leather.
So, I've searched the forum about this argument but I didn't find anything very useful, I noticed that someone of you had experience on laser cutting leather and I hope you can help me to clarify some of my doubts.

All I want to know, from your experiences, is this:

1. What type of laser I need to engrave the leather, diode, CO2?
  2. I need a powerful laser or a can engrave using ones under the 1000mW?
  3. Shading is achieved by modulating the power? PWM?

Just to be clear, I'm not here asking for "please make me a laser" :-) I just want you to share your experiences on "drawing" on leather.
Why I'm doing this? A friend of mine is a book binder. As this is one of the best artisan work she is retiring because people (here in Italy) don't want to spend money on something like that, they don't feel the need of an handmade custom journal or others book binding items; I don't want to list how many problems she is having on her labour. I would like to improve her customizable items with the engraving leather so she can start an e-commerce activity which, hopefully, can leave her on the business until the retirement fund, she just need 3 or 2 years.
She tried some engraving laser shop services (CO2) here but the cost is really really high, added to the manual binding and the materials, the final cost for the client is too high and she still doesn't sell anything. I will no charge her for my engraving, so she can sell the items at low fares.
Sorry for my bad english, good "prints" to everyone. ;-)

---- "Let me make my move" ----
Re: Which laser for leather engraving? Share your exps
December 26, 2013 06:46AM
UP! And Merry Xmas!
VDX
December 26, 2013 06:18PM
... for marking leather a diode with 445nm @1W is enough -- for cutting you'll need more power ... here a CO2 laser with >20Watts is your friend winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 08, 2014 05:20AM
Hi Victor and happy new year!
Thanks for your reply, I waited others' opinions to give you a reply but seems there's no one out there.

So a diode with 445nm @1W is enough. Perfect, I will update you with my RepStrap as soon as I'll get results. Do I need to cool down the diode with just an air nozzle or you suggest to use a heatsink house/mount with fan?

Thanks again smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 05:29AM by Gordie.

---- "Let me make my move" ----
VDX
January 08, 2014 11:09AM
... with a big enough heatsink you don't need a fan winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login