Laser to cut thin wood/plastic
May 06, 2014 10:44AM
So I am planning on building an interchangeable tool head for my printer and I want to include a laser as one of the tools. I know you need a pretty powerful laser to cut though thin wood/plastic sheets (2-6 mm). I do not mind doing multiple passes so long as it can cut through.

My question is, what power laser would I need? What type of laser?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
VDX
Re: Laser to cut thin wood/plastic
May 06, 2014 11:51AM
... 2W@445nm-diode or CO2-laser with +20Watt ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 07, 2014 09:10AM
That's kinda of what I figured.

Can you run them off of a RAMPS or some type of 3D printer controller/driver? Im not very electrically incline, but I would think as long as the the specs match up and it can supply the correct amount of power it should work.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
VDX
May 07, 2014 04:09PM
... yes - I'm driving all my lasers with similar electronics.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 06, 2014 03:35PM
Srry jump in on thread just would like to know what laser to cut 6mm birch plywood and 6mm acyrlic of plexiglass ty

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
VDX
July 06, 2014 05:23PM
... starting with CO2-laser @40Watts ... 80Watts or more, if cutting speed is essential ...

Viktor
--------

July 07, 2014 02:03PM
See
[forums.reprap.org]
Laser diode!
smiling smiley
VDX
July 07, 2014 03:21PM
... for cutting 6mm plywood you'll need a diode with >10Watts ... and no vis-diode can harm clear (not coloured/pigmented) acrylics ... but no problem to engrave+cut it with the @10600nm from a CO2-laser ...

Viktor
--------

August 16, 2014 08:11AM
Sorry for jumping this thread, I am also looking to make a laser tool for my printer. I found this on Amazon:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

And was wondering if this would be suitable for cutting through the 2-6mm thickness wood/plastic that the OP posted?

Nathan
VDX
August 16, 2014 05:45PM
1.2 Watts @445nm are good enough for 1-2mm of light wood ... with overpowering and slow engraving for a bit more ... but can fail at 0.5mm of some 'tougher' plastic materials eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

August 17, 2014 06:51PM
1.75W 445nm Jtech laser
12 passes (overkill)
2.5mm corrugated cardboard

1.75 w blue laser can do a lot $225 SSD and driver

smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login