Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What 2D frame to build laser cutter?

Posted by muelli 
What 2D frame to build laser cutter?
August 02, 2014 07:52AM
Hello forum,

originally, I wanted to upgrade my Mendel90 3D printer with a laser head to make PCBs.
Thinking about that, I came to the conclusion, that it might be better to start with a clean 2D design only for use with the laser.

Is there a design to start with? Does someone know of a 2D kit with stepper motors and controller?
thanks!
VDX
Re: What 2D frame to build laser cutter?
August 02, 2014 03:45PM
... old pen-plotters are perfect suited for this task, if you'll remove the bed for free height-adjustment ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 02, 2014 04:31PM
there is non market for these sad smiley
ebay, nothing...
so i guess building is better.
October 03, 2014 06:36PM
Well, my project is on hold right now, but as you just asked for the frame, that part is already finished.

It is basically a modified MendelMax frame, adjusted for the desired working space (somewhat around 200mm x 300mm)
(German part of this forum, but that should not be a problem to you. winking smiley )
[forums.reprap.org]

I searched a lot to find a cheap but sufficient electronics kit for 2D movements, but no results. But there are some projects which offer a PCB layout for etching, if you got the equipment at home. The most commonly sold kits are for 3 or 4 axis movement.
(I tried to find a cheaper way: As you can see in the linked thread, I soldered the electronics onto a stripboard using removeable Pololu stepper drivers. Thats not much work since you wont need much more than 4 pins of the two drivers connected to your arduino, 2 capacitors and a power supply.)

I like to share the experience I made with that project with the forum, but feel free to PM me if you want to cut the translation barrier.

LG

Jonas
December 02, 2014 02:51AM
Work in progress smiling smiley ... [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login