Advanced

information about Wavelenght and Power please

Posted by ArmyBoy 
information about Wavelenght and Power please
August 06, 2014 08:54AM
Hello,

I'm new in laser technologie...

I saw in different topics that for cutting purpose, people will use 445nm 1W

​1 - does it exist a laser with an ajustable power (watt) and/or an ajustable wavelenght ?

2 -​ a laser with for exemple with a wavelenght 780mn or more, does it could cut the same materials than the 450 nm ? does it would better to have a superior wavelenght than 450nm to be use with more materials.... ?

3 - what does mean the Watt for a laser ? a laser with 2W does it cut deeper ? does it cut on a longer distance than the 1W ?

​Thanks and have a great day smiling smiley
VDX
Re: information about Wavelenght and Power please
August 06, 2014 03:25PM
... adjusting wavelengths is really complicated and pretty pricey! - count tens to hundreds thousand dollars for non-linear crystals for doubling/tripling or frequency-shifting or other frequency-separating methodes eye rolling smiley

Shorter wavelengths are better in terms of energy density and focus qualities, but this is not the only variable counting ... it's more the availability of laser sources and price-tags, what's defining the possibilities.

And yes -- higher energies at the same wavelength will cut deeper and/or faster cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 06, 2014 05:39PM
Hi Viktor,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I really appreciate.

You said "Shorter wavelengths are better". So why we do not use 100nm ou less other than 445nm ? How do you choose the best wavelenght ?
(ex : If I want to cut green paper ? engrave wood ? Glass ? ....)
VDX
August 06, 2014 07:30PM
... it's mostly the availability of specific lasers - while CO2-lasers with a 'far-IR'-wavelength of 10640nm can have pretty high powers and are relative cheap (some hundred bucks for >100Watts), lasers in the visible range don't have this powers and/or would cost a fortune ... the smaller the wavelength, the higher the cost/power-ratio.

To get some feeling, you should check in ebay for wavelengths, powers and prices ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login