Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 3D printed laser cutter/engraver (445nm Laser Diode)

Posted by villamany 
My 3D printed laser cutter/engraver (445nm Laser Diode)
December 02, 2014 02:46AM
Hi guys, im working on my first "complex desing". I want to share the first tests.

This is a 3D printed machine, and use some " vitamins" similar to RepRap concept. I named it 3dpBurner smiling smiley

This video is using a 3W 445nm laser diode working @2.1A with a G2 lens. It is running GRBL firmware on Arduino UNO with a CNC shield and two Pololu compatible drivers (very cheap electronics).

Video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 02:48AM by villamany.
VDX
Re: My 3D printed laser cutter/engraver (445nm Laser Diode)
December 02, 2014 03:21AM
... you have to filter the fumes through activated charcoal, not only blowing them into the room!

This organic fumes are toxic and acidic/corrosive, so will harm your health and corrode metallic parts which get in contact with the fumes.

Another essential question - do you use eye-protection?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 02, 2014 03:41AM
Thanks Viktor, yes, of course, im using the safety glasses. I plan to add a fume extractor. For the moment im testing on a ventilated area, near a window. But plan to do it.
December 02, 2014 06:51AM
Do you know any easy to build fumes filtering system Viktor?
VDX
December 02, 2014 07:17AM
... my first filter was a 'sandwich' of 3 chip pan filters inserted in a 120mm-tube with two PC-fans sucking the power trough the filters and exhausting them through the next window.

Actually I'm using a comercial laser fume absorber, but this is a really big and expensive part, so not really DIY-friendly eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 03, 2014 11:01AM
Many thanks Viktor.

Yesterday i unmount the three elements glass lens from a fried 2W LD and tested on this 3W LD. Im getting much better results with 3EG than with the G2 lens! Has a more small focus and cut better.

Also i read the datasheet and absolute maximun rating is 1.7A and is designed for produce about 1.6-2W of power.

The seller rate it up to 3W and recommended me a 2.4A for laser pointer and 2.2A for continuous use on a CNC machine. So for 3W the LD is working much over his manufacturer recomended maximun ratings.

I was set the driver at 2.1A and after about 8-10min of work the heatsink get very hot at touch (i use a fan for active cooling). Now i just guide by the datasheet and set up my driver at 1.6. I get less power but a much cooler and secure working LD.

WHat do you think about this Viktor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 11:02AM by villamany.
VDX
December 03, 2014 11:12AM
... yes, this "3Watts" is a total max. value with super-cooling for testing only! - max. current of 1.7Amps is normal for a 2W-diode.

The actual 3.5Watt diodes are rated to 3Amps max. and 2.2Watt continuous with around 3.5Watts power with proper cooling.

Don't heat them above 30degC! - this is the fastest way do wreck them eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

December 03, 2014 11:31AM
I did not know that only worked safely up to 30C ! This is my cooling system.

But knowing this I think would be best to improve the cooling block or put the machine into the refrigerator xD. Thank you...

December 02, 2015 05:14PM
can I combine between :
Extruder carriage

and
Lazer module

Where can I buy carbone fume extractor ?

Thanks
VDX
December 03, 2015 02:14AM
... modify or exchange the holding bracket to fit your laser-module - I'm doing the same for comercial or DIY laserengravers regularly until the counts rise enough to design+build standardized holders winking smiley

Viktor
--------

December 03, 2015 08:56AM
do you mean I need to drill it ? how about the driver for lazer ? it's just a pure power supply ?
VDX
December 03, 2015 03:39PM
... the driver seems to be a constant-curent-regulator inside the module, which is supported by 5V and needs min. 700mA.

You can test to switch the 5V to the driver with a MOSFET and the MOSFET with one of the I/O-pins of your controller - check the correct/needed voltages and specs for the MOSFET.

Don't know, how fast the laser will be on full power after switching the 5V, so maybe you have to build an own driver, if it's not fast enough ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login